Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeding my two 11mo. average sized females 6-8blocks of Mazuri and a large handful of Suebee's. They also get fruit or veg every other day atleast, and I feed them olive oil on whole grain breads. Is this adequate feed? Also are eggs OK for them? I usually boil one for them to split, and they love it... but would it be better for them to get protien from fish, nuts, etc? These girlies get fresh fish all the time after spring... I usually boil a piece for them. These little pigs are always hungry, I just want to make sure they're getting there fill. Is Mazuri a decent brand? I'm not sure what to compair nutrition to. Any opinions on this diet are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mazuri isn't really that great of a lab block at all. Unfortunately, there really isn't any good lab block. People say Harlan Teklad is the best, but that's just because there's nothing else better. You should try finding some Oxbow Regal Rat food.

Fresh fruit and veggies are great :) Just remember to switch it up a lot. There's a ton of different stuff you can get every week, and don't forget that rats love herbs too!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work in restuarants so these fatties get there fix, i'm also an avid angler, so occasionally they get poached fish meat. I found oxbow fairly cheap... i'm going to order some tommorow. Would it be better to substitute Innova or other high quality dog foods?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Be careful with the regal rat. While it is a great food most rats will only eat it fr a little while and then turn their noses up at it. I would have more food on hand in case that happens

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These spoiled girls don't really care for there Mazuri either. Sure they'll eat them, but most of the time they'll hide the blocks and pull there bowl in the igloo (this is funny to watch as the bowl is a fraction of an inch bigger than the entrance of the igloo) as if to make there food disappear... maybe daddy will bring us more mix if he thinks the blocks are gone :p If I just put blocks in there bowl at feeding time they rush down to look in the bowl, only to disregard the blocks and run back to the cage with that "WHERE THE #$(*&#$ IS MY SUEBEES! YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY? HUH? YOU TWO LEGGED BAG OF SKIN AND BONES!"

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I slowly removed Suebee's from all my rats diet over time. NOW they will snatch their lab blocks from my hand like its a treat LOL

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My rats have no problem with the Regal Rat. I think people just feel bad when their rats aren't eating the food and think they're "starving," then give them different food. I don't give my rats more food until everything they've eaten is gone.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I did not free feed or supplement at the time we tried it, and we did have rats that would not eat the RR, no matter what. It took months, but it happened. I'm still kinda bummed about it. I don't think *all* rats feel that way, but I certainly didn't expect to have rats loosing weight (when they shouldn't). RR is my favorite food I've fed so far, but with so many rats at any given time, and many that come in already underweight... I can't chance it.

*shrugs*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts