Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched over to Mazuri from Nutro Lite, and my girls are HATING it. They hide all of the pieces in their igloo when I feed them, and then they don't even eat all of it. I'm really worried that they aren't getting what they need out of it... should I switch them back to Nutro?

(Keep in mind that I would LOVE it if I were able to feed them Regal Rat or HT, but I don't have the money for shipping).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
How long has it been since you switched?

My boys usually regard a change in food with vast suspicion. If they're hoarding it, I'd consider that a good sign, it means they consider it something good, I'd figure.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll be a week on Saturday. I'm just worried that they aren't eating enough... and I'm also worried about supplementing the food with veggies or fruit when they haven't adjusted to it yet. I'm afraid that they won't eat the Mazuri if they have veggies around.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That is a danger. I believe that no rat would starve itself willingly, so I'd believe they're eating. If you do keep giving them veggies make sure they have vitamin content (ie.... not lettuce or celery. :lol: ) and perhaps not as much?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
They will not seem to eat as much Mazuri as the dog kibble since its much more dense. The average rat will eat 2-4 blocks a day. Stashing is a good sign as mentioned, it means its worthwhile to stash. Ignoring in the bowl is NOT a good sign. :roll:

Start them off slowly with the veggies, and esp. the fruit. and then add slowly new things. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
sudden changes are never good & often are returned with some slight rebellion

Be careful with giving them too much fruits & veggies because they may hold out for yummier stuff rather than eat their boring block. Also, a diet rich with fruits & veggies can lead to a very loose & smelly stool plus an upset stomach.

As was already said, they will eat far less of the block per day so before adding more block gather up what they stashed all over. Continue to reduce the amount you offer so that you don't get into severe food waste.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Were you feeding the Nutro Lite with a grain mix? If so, I say just go back to it. I was under the impression it was better than Mazuri with a grain mix.

If there's no grain mix though, I suppose Mazuri is the way to go. My rats don't care for their lab blocks either. So all I do is not feed them again until they eat them. They always eat them, it's one of the first things they stash but it's just the last thing they'll eat. Sometimes I've had to just take a big stash of the lab blocks and put them in the food dish so they'll get the idea, but they'll eat them if they have nothing else.

You know, though, I've also read that rats see you as the big rat and they'd be more willing to try something if they see you try it and then smell it on your breath. So if you're willing to go that distance knock yourself out.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the advice! I'm not quite as worried now... the bag said to feed 4-7 pellets each day. When they were on the nutro, I did a modified grain mix (basically using whatever I could get that was on the Suebees mix- puffed wheat, Total, and dry pasta). But I figured that it would be smarter for me to switch to Mazuri, since I wouldn't have to supplement it so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts