Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Kaitlyn and I just added a dumbo rat named Remy to my family. My first fancy rat, Amelia, passed away a few months ago and I was missing her dearly when I went to the pet store just to kill some time. I thought I could hold the rats there and not take one home but man was I wrong. I fell in love with Remy right away and am so glad I brought him home. We're working really hard on getting to know each other.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello Kaitlyn. I also have a rat named Remy!

I highly suggest you get Remy a friend. Rats are highly social animals and should be kept in groups of 2 or more. It just isn't possible for us to give them enough attention.

No worries him having a friend will still let him bond do u. I actually think it is easier to have them bond to us when they have a friend.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that keeping them in pairs is a good idea but my sister had a rat many years ago and when she brought him home a friend the rats fought and had to be kept in separate cages and wouldn't interact at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm glad you've decided to get Remy a friend. As moon said, rats are extremely social. They get very depressed without a friend. In rare cases, they may fight. This is almost ALWAYS because they were 1) Not introduced properly, or 2) Need to be neutered. When your sister attempted this, I am assuming she did not do it properly. There is really no excuse to keep a rat by itself unless you have exhausted all your other options. It takes some time, effort and patience, but then again, all pets do. When you adopt an animal into your family, you take on the responsibility of providing for it.

Please see this link for proper introduction methods: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?193945-Introducing-Rats-using-the-Carrier-Method
You may also find some more info around the web if you just google "Rat introductions" and read up.

Remy will truly thank you for giving him a friend and working so hard! :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm going to admit i didnt do it properly but i separeted them and did it again but this time i did it right and now my two pairs of rats are living together well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts