Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Suspicious_Toast (My real name is Aiyana) and I'm new here. I have 2 ratties, their names are Lasagna and Tazo. They're my first ever rats so I'm totally new at this. I need some help. I've always looked to Yahoo Answers for rat stuff and rarely got a reply that was helpful or even nice so, I'm really happy to have come across the rat forums. :) So let me tell you about the rats!

Lasagna is a black and white hooded rat and he's 10 months old tomorrow. He's pretty skittish around everyone and once tried to bite my dad, cat, other rat, and dog for no reason. Him and my dog used to be best friends but rat puberty changed him. He trusts my mom though, and he's still one of the sweetest animals I've ever known. He's playful, and refuses to sit still unless he is given a shoulder massage. xD And he LOVES cheerios. just plain cheerios. I shake the treat bag and he come running. and he LOVES his box. I made this box for him to hide in when he would free-range as a baby rat and sometimes I still can't get him out of that box. And sometimes I can't get him out of his hammock either. He loves to spend the day lazing around in his hammock and fangirling when i fill his water bottle or food dish xD

Tazo is a fawn-colored rex and he's 6 months. He is one of the cutest things on the planet. He's really skittish but he's so curious that fear disappears after awhile. He does tricks and loves cheerios and refuses to sit still what so ever. he loves hiding in my hoodies and pushing his way into my sleeves. He loves to burrow in his hammock and 'remodel' his cage every single time I clean it. He has a littler box and thinks he would rather sleep in the little box and fling his poop outside of his cage.

Now for the advice part...

Lasagna- He was 3 weeks old when i adopted him (I didn't find this out until 2 days ago) I could only get him because he was the last one of his litter. and he had no socialization, but now he only trusts me and is scared of everyone else, he is pretty aggressive with Tazo but since tazo being in the cage beside his, He has been so much more cheerful, he loves treats and will occasionally hang out and sleep on me, and he likes to pounce on my hand every once in a while, but does NOT like it when i gently flip him over and wrestle with him, and doesn't play much. any activities you can think of?

Tazo- He was around 8 weeks when i got him from a rattery, and he was VERY playful and social and loved everyone. then he met Lasagna, and I did the introduction process multiple times EXACTLY how the websites and books said but it didn't work out, and now he's scared of everything! Sometimes even me! He doesn't play very much, he takes treats with no problem, but he won't sleep on me or play. And getting another rat isn't an option right now.

I can't afford to neuter either of them.

thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey welcome to the forums! I'm sorry your rats are a bit skittish and not liking each other just yet. It can be especially tough if they weren't litter mates to begin with. There's some great advice in this thread: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?67442-Immersion-Training-The-Guide because it seems like they need to learn to be around you and your family. It also will take a lot of patience till they come around.

When you introduced them to each other did anyone draw blood? It's normal for rats to fight when meeting each other, however if they draw blood separate them and try again later. You can read more info here: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39500-How-to-introduce-a-new-rat-to-your-group!

Here's one more link talking about trust training:
Trust training: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39776-Timid-or-Aggressive-Rat-Trust-Training

Basically look into the Rat Behavior topic in this forum.

I hope your rats get along soon!

·
Registered
94 Posts
When you say the introductions "didn't work out," what happened? Were they fighting? Was any blood drawn? Rats don't usually fight, but intact males who weren't littermates are at a higher risk of not getting along. Their hormones can cause them to get aggressive when they otherwise should get along.

I know you said you can't afford to get them neutered, and I totally understand- sometimes life works out that way and you have other things to pay for. However, you have to understand when you take up the responsibility of owning an animal, you have to be willing to take care of their needs... and rats can be deceptively pricey! Rats are notorious for respiratory infections, and you'll have to pay for multiple vet visits, antibiotics and possibly xrays or bloodwork. Neutering is not very expensive, it's usually around $100-150 per rat, and if that means your rats can live happy, healthy lives then it's worth the cost.

However, if your rats aren't fighting over hormones, they might just be afraid. It sounds as if they both need trust training and more socialization. Kelsbels linked some great pages for you to read up on and see if anything helps. Keep in mind that sometimes, for whatever reason, 2 rats will just not get along.

EDIT: I also just noticed you said the rats are in separate cages? I assume because the intros went bad and they were fighting? Rats are very social. They need companions. If the one rat is being too aggressive and is stuck in isolation, he needs to be neutered. Additionally, the other rat is now alone in a cage by himself and probably a bit depressed. You said you could not afford another rat, but you should really considered either neutering or getting a third rat to keep company. It would help a lot! Then he wouldn't be so afraid, having a friend to help him :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) these are my first rats. Both are extremely social. I can't find a rat vet in my area, and my mom REFUSES to let me get a 3rd while living in her house. The first time they were introduced Tazo loved Lasagna, but Lasagna hadn't seen another rat in 6 months and was terrified. Than the next few times Lasagna fought Tazo and drew blood once. Now Tazo REFUSES to stay in the bathtub with Lasagna for more than 5 seconds. He was from a breeder and loved everyone but now he is so scared of everything and Lasagna is so aggressive now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try putting water in the bathtub while you have them being introduced. I don't mean filling the bathtub but more like "have some water there so they soak their feet and tails". I've read a lot of people seeing improvement with that; it seems that the rats get so occupied grooming themselves (like water was so awful haha) that they stop fighting so much. You'll have to insist a lot so they get along.

This thread is an example of rats that hated each other and ended up being fine! Of course here they are girls but you still can apply what the user did.

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?275057-Being-the-Dumping-Ground-for-Unwanted-Ratties

Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts