Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read somewhere that mealworms could be fed to rats as a treat, or perhaps as part of their diet. I'm sure it stated as a treat. I was just wondering if anyone has done this/knows more about this?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hm, I tried this with my bird... she just let it wriggle out of her cage... But rats are much more curious, so I wouldn't doubt that the occasional one could be a good treat, they're probably high in protein which is why they should be used as treats..

·
Registered
489 Posts
My rats love mealworms. I'd be scared to give them superworms though.
I give cocoa crickets every once in a while. only one or two. They are a drug to her. Wax worms are fatty so i dont give those much.

Try givin them mealworms. They might love them.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mine didn't know what to do with them at first, and then they went insane :D

I got a Can O' Worms for them, and apparently I didn't realize they had to be refrigerated after opening. I opened the can last night, and found moldy mealworms.

*shudder*

·
Registered
133 Posts
as an occasional treat i have given meal worms and super worms , crickets, crayfish (or for the southerners crawfish) but not that often becuse i was uncertain on how good they were for them. even my mice loved crayfish small ones with claws removed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying my rats on meal worms, but its just the fact that you can't just buy 1 or 2 lol... :s i don't feel like having a whole container of meal worms..

·
Registered
29 Posts
My rats have always loved mealies. Along with my Sugar Gliders, who go nuts for them. The only thing that bothers me is having to touch them to give them to my little fuzzies. :lol:
It's odd, I find rats' big old somewhat scaled-looking tails adorable. But I am absolutely repulsed by mealworms.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah mealworms are kinda creepy. if you keep the mealworms refrigerated, a little plastic tub of them like you get from petsmart can last you like a month. after a while they turn into pupas (still edible) and like a few weeks after that they turn into beetles (i never fed these, but i kept them like pets, LOL). i used to be able to play with them and all sorts of stuff, but these days i stick with the chopsticks to dig them out of their sandy tupper, lol.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
How can they turn into pupa/beetles? Aren't they, ya know, dead?

*shudders more*

·
Registered
133 Posts
i never had a problem only having one or two on hand becuse i have lizard who love meal worms so i buy box of 1000 and use to breed them same with cricket. super worms are harder to breed but i did breed them for a while. i never liked meal worms but after a while they grow on you i got to the point of scooping big handfuls up with my bare hands lol.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Night, thats if you buy them live. Can o worms are freezedried and dead. Buyin them live, they'll transform into beetles and such.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i always figured that live mealworms taste better since they're juicy, and they seem more fun to eat, cuz they try to escape and all that nastiness. i've never even though about getting dead ones.

this clears up how you could get moldy mealworms, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts