Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know dried mealworms can be given as a treat and my rats have always loved them but I only tend to feed them one or two each a week. So I just wanted to ask how many and how often is suitable/how many and often do you guys feed them to your rats? I’m asking as I’m looking at alternative museli mixes to the pets at home one and I’ve found this one which looks good as it has lots of variety in but it has mealworms so I would be worried to give that to them daily as part of their meals… any advice or opinions would be great … thank you!!xx
Food Recipe Ingredient Leaf vegetable Staple food

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Mealworms are quite high in protein and fat. As long as the mix is well balanced, I wouldn't be too concerned that it contains mealworms. It looks like the protein content is around 14% which is great. The fact content is a bit high at 7%.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought this food for my rats a few months ago and would not recommend it. I had planned on giving them a handful on top of their Oxbow every few days just to add some variety. A lot of it ended up going to waste as they didn't like a couple of the different pellets that make up the bulk of the mix. And it contains alfalfa and dried corn (I picked this out before giving to them), which is not good for rats. I also found that it smelled pretty rancid, and while the rats didn't seem to mind, it's really not healthy for any creature to be eating rancid food.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought this food for my rats a few months ago and would not recommend it. I had planned on giving them a handful on top of their Oxbow every few days just to add some variety. A lot of it ended up going to waste as they didn't like a couple of the different pellets that make up the bulk of the mix. And it contains alfalfa and dried corn (I picked this out before giving to them), which is not good for rats. I also found that it smelled pretty rancid, and while the rats didn't seem to mind, it's really not healthy for any creature to be eating rancid food.
Okay thank you for that I will definitely rethink the idea then!x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts