Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chicken,pork,beef,fish,cooked,uncooked ect. ect. ect. Is it "bad" to give to your ratsys?

I will sometimes give them small pieces of what I'm eating and it doesn't seem to have any affect on them. I mean they're omnivores just like us so why not let them have some?

What are your appinions?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I give them bits all the time, bout the size of my thumbnail each and bones now and then. I'd be careful of raw meat, I was feeding my cat raw steak and he got awful worms.
Spider

·
Registered
638 Posts
My vet recommends some kind of "protein," including meat, at least once a week.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
mine love uncooked bacon and roast lamb. they also like ground beef once its been turned into spaghetti bolognaise...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
All meat should be cooked, imo. It's safer that way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I will usually steam chicken and or salmon scraps at work to bring home to my girls... just make sure it's not marinated meat, if it is make sure there is not too much sodium or saturated fat. Some fish is very good for them, especially salmon. Salmon is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, sock eye and king salmon is best. If i'm really looking out for them, they get a little asparagus, unsalted cashew, and nectarine with there salmon :wink: Rattatouille has nothin' on my spoiled gourmet ratties. :roll:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
A few days a week my girls will each get a tidbit of whatever meat we're having with dinner that night. Tonight they each got a little piece of shrimp (their favorite), and they also love hamburger night :D Neither of them likes pork products though, including bacon and ham. But I would never give them anything that wasn't cooked. With the exception of rat blocks (and peas..) I don't give them anything I wouldn't want to eat myself ^_^

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't think raw meat would be a good idea,to much "crap" they could get.

And I know what you mean Mana my mom try'd to tell me it would be "ok" to give them spoiled (rotten) food becuase they eat it in the wild and I nearly punched her!! You DON'T give them "bad" food it's just as bad to them as it is to us! I don't care if the "wild" ratsys eat that kind of food all thier lives they have the immune system for it from years of having to eat it but our "pets" have been breed out of that life so they don't have the "stomach" for it!!!!

Anyway I'll have to start givin'em more coocked meats if it's really good for'em. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
def cook it. my girls LOVE chicken, and i still need to try other meats.

its a good thing to give them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone else give there rats olive oil? I'll barely soak a small piece of white bread for them about once a week. I have heard it helps keeps there coats soft and shiny.... wether it helps much or not, my ratties go nuts for it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
dreadhead said:
Does anyone else give there rats olive oil? I'll barely soak a small piece of white bread for them about once a week. I have heard it helps keeps there coats soft and shiny.... wether it helps much or not, my ratties go nuts for it.
Occasionally I do. :) They like it on anything. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
dreadhead said:
Just make sure you don't get any on your fingers! ;D
Why not? Well... Maybe with Jack... But most of my boys will just lick it off. (most of the time! :lol: )

When I feel like an oil treat I usually mix up their veggies like a 'salad' with the little bit of oil as a 'dressing'. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Forensic said:
dreadhead said:
When I feel like an oil treat I usually mix up their veggies like a 'salad' with the little bit of oil as a 'dressing'. :)
That's what I do too. With a sprinkle or garlic. They go nuts.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.......My ratsys are a nightmare......they are the picky'st things!!! (Other than myself) 8)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any suggestions on how to get them to eat a bigger variaty?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sky14 said:
Any suggestions on how to get them to eat a bigger variaty?
Yeah thats what I wanna know. I offerd them a small peice of Broccoli but they were like little kids..."I Dont Wanna Eat my veggies Daddy!"

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Your boys may not yet be willing to take things from you, you might want to leave it in the cage a while. If it's something they've never had they won't eat it right away, it's instinct.

I try mixing up the new stuff with something they know and like. And NUMNUMEATEMUP it goes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts