Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Im trying to administer medication to my rats and was told the dosing and give it with something they like. Each one of them is suffering from a minor respiratory infection and i have the antibiotics.
The babies take the meds well, But the older boy HATES it and will not take them even with his favorite treat!

hes sneezing and and breathing is getting a little worse, but its not to the point of emergency care. this is not the first time i have had to do this either but im sitting here bashing my head into the wall trying to get this boy to take his antibiotics!

anyone have any advice here?

anything i could try giving it to him with? i thought about little pieces of treats with a dab of meds on them, but i have no idea how well he would take that. hes so picky he wont even lick it with a bit of chocolate off my fingers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You could maybe mix it with a bit of slightly watered down strawberry or chocolate syrup in a syringe... My rats like strawberry syrup, they also like watered down honey. You could also put a dab of honey on the end of the syringe to trick him, this works sometimes.

Another thing you can try is making medicine balls:
http://ratguide.com/meds/figures/compounding_medications_figure_1.php
The problem with this though is that if he won't eat them then you've just wasted a lot of medicine...

If push comes to shove, firmly grab his head and put the tip of the syringe just behind his teeth and slowly squirt it in, allowing him time to swallow it bit by bit, he will hate this but you have to get the medicine in him somehow, just give him a tasty treat right after he swallows it. Or you might try to get someone to help you with this, so one can hold him and the other can squirt the medicine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive tried the waterdown chocolate syrup. i might try to pick up some strawberry at the store down the street. might pick up some peanut butter as well.

i have been doing it the hard way, but he managed to still spit out a lot of his meds, as frustrating as it is. and i end up getting it all over me cause he will proceed to smear it EVERYWHERE. [the little bugger]

I will try the medicine ball, possibly using things to cover the scent and taste. do you know if cinnamon is good? i, myself, have trouble taking medication and need to crush pills and find that cinnamon takes the bite off the taste and smell

·
Registered
153 Posts
Covering the medicing balls in a little cinnamon and sugar can help entice them to eat it, yeah. You can use nutella instead of peanut butter too. Or chocolate peanut butter, or really any sort of thick spread like that.

You could mix peanut butter, honey, and milk in a little bowl and use that in a syringe too, if he'd like that, I used coconut milk for this and my rats liked it, it tasted like a milkshake.

I know what you mean about them rubbing their little faces all over everything to get the medicine out :x little turds, when I have to force it I hold them until I see them swallow it. They still manage to make a mess sometimes though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yes, my other two boys, are babies and they are champs at taking meds.

MY blondie bab connor fractured his front leg somehow and he takes painmeds without even thinking. i always reward him with a little bit of something sweet to wash down the meds with. still not sure how long the cast needs to be on for, vet said around a month but when he scratched it off yesterday, he was putting weight on the paw

if only the older boy was this good haha at taking his meds though

·
Registered
581 Posts
I always mix my medicine with babyfood. It's the only way to make Dela take it! XD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my sister tried babyfood with the older boy the first time and he threw a fit.

We have been doing the watered down choco syrup and its been okay, but now hes refusing that.

for the next dose ill make those medicine balls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts