Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the two new additions to our Family. These are also our first two rats ever! I'm not sure what sexes they are at the moment. You still can't tell. I tried getting in contact with a couple of breeders, but didn't have much luck with that so ended up going to a pet store. So sadly I do not know anything about these rats. Thankfully the two that we got are extremely active and friendly. My daughter has never played with quite this small of animal and she does extremely well with the as well! The look on her face was truly priceless playing with these two last night. The look on her face in the pictures I took looked more satanic than anything so I didn't really get to capture the excitement on camera, but she is already in love! Right now they are sharing a small cage until later today (we just got the last night) when their Midwest Critter Nation with Stand should be here! We also have two Roll-N-Round Balls, an exercise wheel, a Teach & Treat, a swing and two huts for them. I was wondering when you can tell the sex and when I should become concerned about them mating if one is male and the other female. I think my vet would deal with the rats, but I'm not 100% on this. I would be willing to look around though as well. Any helpful info or tips are always appreciated.

Mia
11201183_10203463092016713_2863882600058970828_n.jpg
Max
12065479_10203463090016663_1835653766361139027_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello your babies are adorable!

You can actually sex rat babies from birth. Rat sexing is quite simple.

You need to separate them asap until u know for sure. Rats can also breed at quite a young age and it will not be good for the female if she has babies so young :(

1. Only female rats have nipples. If you can see nipples they are female. But...with that being said it can sometimes be difficult to see the nipples in fluffier babies. So if u can't find nipples don't just assume it is a boy.

2. Males start to show their testicles around 3 weeks old and it is fairly obvious.

If you take some really good pics, someone on the forum will be able to tell u.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts