Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and Mercy. She has a really pretty coat.
If her sister is still at the pet store, I would recommend going back and adopting her. Even though it makes sense on the surface to start with one rat, its not really much more work to have a pair. And it would also bring out the best in Mercy if she has a friend, particularly her sister!
I just have a question about Arthur - is he a full male or neutered? If he's full, I wouldn't let them out together to play for fear of babies. A few people here on the forum have let their male/female rats out together and ended up with babies. Lots of them! :oops:

·
Registered
667 Posts
I really recommend against breeding Mercy and Arthur on purpose, although it may be a little late.
If you are having trouble finding the cash to house and care for a pair of female rats, it will only be harder to care for a litter.

If Mercy is (or becomes) pregnant, Arthur will need to "move out" back to his cage, as males cannot be housed with babies. Also females can become pregnant within 24 hours after giving birth, which would be very hard on them.
Once the babies are 4-5 weeks old, the males and females need separate housing as they too can begin to breed.
Hence my advice to stick with Mercy for now, preferably with a female friend, and maybe keep the breeding idea on hold for a time in the future when you are really well set up for it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes, Arthur would need a friend too.
If money allowed, she could get Arthur neutered and he would be a really great friend for Mercy.
Or he could just live with a male friend which I'm sure he would love. From experience, two same sex rats in a cage together isn't really any more work (or even cost really) than a single one.
You could keep an eye on Mercy, however, as she may be already pregnant. In which case the babies will be arriving in approx 3 weeks.
Any questions, please keep asking.
P.S. If you fairly new to rats and you want some great info, have a look at Shadow the Rat's youtube channel. Deals with all sorts of aspects of rat care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts