·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
92E1F2D4-33F4-44A1-AE8C-607E4DD2D4B3.png
92E1F2D4-33F4-44A1-AE8C-607E4DD2D4B3.png
79019784-DEAE-4F4E-9C79-A08770E3AE59.jpeg
16C4A5B7-4FCE-49A7-A85D-40897B19FFE0.png
Im a first time owner of a pet rat I have a 5 yr old dog that loves our baby rat Jazzi . just got her from the pet store she is in my room with me and every morning when i get her out for free time she goes into my shirt and falls a sleep for about half hour to an hour then he eats and plays with me and my dog which she acts like she likes her. My niece is rats don’t do this but is she in normal for being like this with me and my dog

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So cute. Rats need other rat companions. You should look at rescues and rat breeders, and What cage do you have?
She gets to visit my nieces rats but I’m only allowed 1 pet but she’s out of her cage with me and Jopi more then she’s in her cage

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
821 Posts
She gets to visit my nieces rats but I’m only allowed 1 pet but she’s out of her cage with me and Jopi more then she’s in her cage
Rats need friends of the same species, and you can’t be with her 24/7 every day.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your cage is on the small side for adult rats. A cage with more horizontal floor space would be more ideal. And you really should have at least 2 rats. Your rat will most likely become depressed even with a lot of attention from you.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
What a cutie!

As others have said, rats cannot be kept alone. It's not optional. Not even [lab rats] are kept alone. If you absolutely can't get her a cagemate, you should find her a good home with other rats. If you can only have one pet, you should get an animal that can be kept alone like a hamster (?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your cage is on the small side for adult rats. A cage with more horizontal floor space would be more ideal. And you really should have at least 2 rats. Your rat will most likely become depressed even with a lot of attention from you.
I thank you for your advice about the cage i plan on getting her a bigger one because i didn’t release until i got it how small it was. I also understand your concern about me getting another rat so she’s not alone but my niece only has one and she’s an adult and seems to be doing really good she spends a lot of time with my niece. As far as me and jazzi goes i am able to spend 24/7 with her i don’t work I’m retired and so far she seems to be adjusting to me and my lifestyle pretty good.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just because your niece also has only one, doesn't make it correct. That's anecdotal evidence at best...

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
I thank you for your advice about the cage i plan on getting her a bigger one because i didn’t release until i got it how small it was. I also understand your concern about me getting another rat so she’s not alone but my niece only has one and she’s an adult and seems to be doing really good she spends a lot of time with my niece. As far as me and jazzi goes i am able to spend 24/7 with her i don’t work I’m retired and so far she seems to be adjusting to me and my lifestyle pretty good.
You arent a rat and cant interact with her like a rat would.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would cover up those metal ramps with some cloth or newspaper, it could cause bumble foot. I would add some ropes and a foraging toy (which you can make) and maybe another hammock. What do you feed her?
Thank you I just picked up some material to cover the metal raps and some toys. I got a good baby rat food from PetSmart and veggies but i found she likes tuna and onions rings crackers she’s not much of a veggie girl but i still put it in her bowl and she picks through it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I reccomend the brand Oxbow for rat food, if that’s not what you have. I would give the Tuna in moderation.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts