Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I got a male rat named Whiskers from a PetSmart a little over a month ago. He doesn't have a very long or interesting story.
He is a black hooded rat, but the stripe down his back kind of breaks off an inch from his tail. He has a heart-shaped spot on his belly, which is adorable. He is the sweetest rat I've ever owned(he is also my first rat). He loves hanging out on my lap and shoulders. I named him Whiskers because when I took him out of his cage the first few times, he kind of stared at everything wit his whiskers twitching a lot. His name is where I got my username, CuriousWhiskers. He is sitting in my lap as I write this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awww, he sounds like such a cutie!!
Just a bit of advice though, you really should get him a cage mate. I don't want to be harsh, but I cannot stress this enough. Rats need another rat to be with them. The more rats, the merrier. After your rat get comfortable with his new surroundings, you should rally introduce another rat or two.
Another thing that would be better for you in the future, is when getting more rats, it would be better to rescue them from places like the SPCA, or a local animal shelter. There are lots of rats there who are super sweet who are in need of homes. Other options include breeders. If you were to get another rat from a breeder, make sure you do your research about different breeders, and make sure you get a known and responsible breeder. Some breeders can be very irresponsible and keep the rats they breed in horrific conditions. Rats from pets stores are often bred in rodent mills which are horrible places. They keep rats and other rodents in small boxes in terrible conditions.
Other than that, Whiskers seems like an amazing rat, and with no doubt I'm sure your'e taking care great care of him!
Good luck in the future with everything!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! I'll see about finding him a cage mate.
(And also, thanks for not being so mean about like some people are.) :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many rats do you have? And it shouldn't be too hard to get another rat, because the cage I have for him already could easily fit 2 or even 3 rats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How many rats do you have? And it shouldn't be too hard to get another rat, because the cage I have for him already could easily fit 2 or even 3 rats.
No problem! Right now I have two rats, but soon I'm looking to adopt four other boys from an animal rescue! I cannot wait for their arrival! Generally, when you get another rat from somewhere that is not a pet store, they will require you to adopt more than one rat. So if your cage is big enough, like you said, that would be perfect! Let me know what rats you will add to your rat family in the future, and good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts