Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As Parker is the only one I have good pictures of (they're such active girls! Parker is the most calm), I decided I'd introduce her first. :)

I got her on the 8th with one of my others, Sophie. I broke my "no pet store" vow, each for a reason. Sophie was in the boy tank (but more on that when I finally have pictures of her that are good to share and introduce her!), and Parker was sneezing and seemed to be left out from the other rats. I know her tank mates were also affected, I'm sure, but she was unlikely to receive treatment, I was told, and she was actively sneezing... I couldn't leave her.

I brought her and Sophie to work with me the next day to get checked out by the exotics vet I work with, and she determined they were both about 9 weeks old, and told me to give Parker doxy twice a day for 10 days (not a ton of sneezing, and it's already cleared up, or I would do longer, but I am finishing the course). At work we get it compounded in liquid form. It's chicken flavor, because we use it on cats/dogs and just started seeing everything else, and she hates it! It's been an interesting experience, because she came to me with no bond, obviously. But now, despite the medication, she is the one most bonded to me, I think. Which is nice. :) I did order both doxy and baytril to keep at home in compounded form, one in banana-marshmallow and one in strawberry-marshmallow, as I was advised the marshmallow flavors mask medication the best.

Without waiting any longer, here are pictures! Any thoughts on her coloring? When I bought her, I was sure she was a REW, but over the past week, she's developed brown above her nose.

Nose Skin Pink Snout Hamster Rat Skin Hamster Muridae Whiskers Rat Muridae Tail Gerbil Rodent Rat Skin Muridae Hamster Rodent

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is, absolutely. :) She seemed the most timid and standoffish at first, but now she's the one that will sit on my shoulder against the back of the chair, or burrow into my sweatshirt.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
From her approximate age and little bit of color on the nose I'd say probably himilayan. I'm a sucker for neglected pet store rats, glad you gave those little girls a good home :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts