Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Karma
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These are my new boys. They're brother rats. I have gotten them about 2 weeks ago. It was quite the story of how i got them too. I was going to rehome rats since it is probably best then going to a breeder, only breeder i found was asking for too much. So i found someone on kijiji giving away these boys for free. I offered him 15 bucks to reserve the rats and we planned to meet at a fast food place in another town on new years eve. He was very upset about having to give away the rats and to be quite honest i think it was his fiancé that was forcing him to give up the rats. He almost ran me over and didn't even come out to see me to do the trade off. They probably got into a fight about it on the way over and he kept me waiting for half an hour. He admitted that he cried on the way over, so i offered to keep him updated for the rest of the rats lives. He hasn't even seen my first update i gave 3 days ago, clearly his woman took away his phone number and someone in that mix is an animal hoarder or both are. When i got them they crapped all over themselves in the carrier. But they were fine when i put them in their cage. The cage i got is this all living things starter pack. But the cage that came with it is pretty good.

You can tell them apart because Harold Fairhair has a lighter grey fur colouring and longer hair. While Pilgore the Destroyer has short black fur. Harold is the more outgoing rat and a real sweetheart that loves pets. While Pilgore is the energetic shy one that barbers his brother cuz he is the destroyer. They are about 2 months old and pretty fat and spoiled. I thought they had gigantism or something when i first got them lol. The other guy was spoiling them pretty badly. But i vary up the spoiling, they get 4 different treats a day that have everything even a human needs. For example today they got a single dorito, some no salt crackers, peanut butter(I usually use yogurt), pomegranate and bell pepper. As soon as i open the cage they come right out to me and climb all over me for their treats and pellets. The boys were named after Vikings because they are Norwegian rats. Harold Fairhair is a very famous Viking and do not quote me on this. But i think Pilgore means to thrash something violently in old Norse. They are still getting used to me and are not 100% ok with me picking them up. But i am not too worried about it. They get bolder more everyday. Soon i will take them to an area i have set up for them to play in. Sorry for the crappy pictures. My phone has an awful camera. Can answer any questions though or try to take better pictures. I have never owned rats before and now i wonder why, they are such lovable animals. Way smarter and more interactive then other small mammals. I am used to owning reptiles and especially lizards.
Carnivore Felidae Whiskers Bumper Small to medium-sized cats

Grille Automotive lighting Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Dog breed Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Rodent

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also as for an update. I have gotten a hold of the previous owner. He said they were pets that their friend was going to feed off to reptiles. But they are not actually feeder rats. Just rats that had a very bad life before me and the previous owner took them in. Which would explain their shyness. I also offered to give the rats back later if he wants them back and is willing to pay. As long as he has less animals because i told him it seems like your fiancé was forcing you to give the rats away. He said he thought he texted back and lol you know whatever. They are due for a quick vet appointment in a month from now. Just a simple examination and i will talk to the vet about any advice he can give. The vet isn't used to dealing with rats, but i am sure they know enough from vet school about small mammals like this. He said he can also neuter them if needed. But i may hold off on it cuz it is rather high risk.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I enjoyed reading your posts,Thankyou.What an eventful life they have had already,lucky for them they now have a good home.I bet there will be no way you will be offering to give them back after a few more weeks,rats get under your skin and go straight for your heart! I have never had males but I think people tend to neuter them if they fight a lot, Maybe they are unusually peaceful Vikings🙂
Be careful with the peanut butter though,it is a choking hazard being so thick and dense,maybe give them a nut in a shell as a weekly treat instead or let them lick the tiniest smear of peanut butter off your finger.Enjoy your rat companions!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I enjoyed reading your posts,Thankyou.What an eventful life they have had already,lucky for them they now have a good home.I bet there will be no way you will be offering to give them back after a few more weeks,rats get under your skin and go straight for your heart! I have never had males but I think people tend to neuter them if they fight a lot, Maybe they are unusually peaceful Vikings🙂
Be careful with the peanut butter though,it is a choking hazard being so thick and dense,maybe give them a nut in a shell as a weekly treat instead or let them lick the tiniest smear of peanut butter off your finger.Enjoy your rat companions!
Yes i know. I love them to pieces. They are so sweet and interactive. I know that peanut butter is a chocking hazard, that is why i water down the peanut butter with some tap water and mix it up very well before i give it to them. It is also the smooth peanut butter and they have had no problems with chocking after i water it down. Especially when i smeared it over their ball toy. It isn't something i will give everyday, but like twice a week for protein is good. Yes i also found that best, to use my finger they lick it off my fingers. I know. But i had to rename them and i feel bad for this guy lol. I don't know his situation. But i want what is best for the rats. I told him about how the first of Buddhas teachings was the middle way. The second was impermanence and how everything changes. I am religious as i converted to Buddhism 10 years ago. I really just want everyone involved to be happy, especially the rats. Like if this guy breaks up with her and all the sudden has no more animals and wants them back. I would probably give them back if he pays me for the expenses. But it would be really hard and i would still need this guy to prove to me he can give them a better life. LOL I only have a starter cage so you know. Or if one of them dies then i will have to rehome one of them. Already having nightmares about if i go into the cage in the morning to clean up the shelves and one of them is dead. I even told this guy i would have an absolute meltdown, like you thought you were bad crying on the way over. Just wait lol, cuz they are rats they are not going to live forever like my gecko is.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Aw you never know,this may be the start of some thing and you may want to add to your rat family when the inevitable happens.The losses are hard initially,but though I don’t follow any particular religion,I live out my life in a spiritual way and I think of a big spiralling wheel of rat souls out ther in the universe,they come and they go down here on earth and though we get all upset over their short lives it really is no big of a deal to them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aw you never know,this may be the start of some thing and you may want to add to your rat family when the inevitable happens.The losses are hard initially,but though I don’t follow any particular religion,I live out my life in a spiritual way and I think of a big spiralling wheel of rat souls out ther in the universe,they come and they go down here on earth and though we get all upset over their short lives it really is no big of a deal to them.
Lol Well they have simply joined the other gods in the heavens and play with their rat friends in the heaven for pet rats.I plan on cremating them when they die too. So it can help them move on to the next life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts