Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a year being ratless, I have adopted two new companions: Sir Oliver McTwistyWhiskers - Hairless, born Feb25, 2015, and Argotron (Fiance named him :D ) - roughly 4 months old, White with a black hood/white head spot/and black tummy spots ;D

I got Oli about a week and a half ago from a lady who thought she picked out 3 females..and Argo roughly 4 days ago from a lady with an oops litter.
Rat Mammal Mouse Muridae Rodent Mammal Vertebrate Cat Rat Felidae Rat Muridae Plate Degu Rodent
Rat Mammal Chinchilla Muridae Hamster Guinea pig Rodent Black-and-white Fur

I'm having a tad bit of trouble introducing them. Oli is very rambunctious, while Argo is more timid. Maybe another week and Argo will be more sociable, but right now he's pretty skittish (though he takes food from me and sits in my lap for .5 seconds). But I put them in the tub together, they did OK for a bit, until Oli just really got on Argos nerves and they tore into each other pretty bad. Being emotional as I am, and not used to having non-sibling rats, I took them away from each other. Oli was whimpering and cuddled up to me, though it may have been a ploy for cuddles :p I have them in the same cage but separated on different floors. There's one spot where they can sniff at each other and try to grab feet but it's not big. I've been switching them once a morning to get used to each others scent. I tried putting them together in the play area too, and like in the tub, Oli gets really pushy with speed grooming and jumping on Argo, which makes him attack. Should I let them fight it out? I've never had rats that didn't know each other already.

Also, Oli does a lot of nipping. I don't think he is trying to hurt us, but should I try to control this? Or is it just baby rat play?

Sorry for all the questions!
<3

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi there! Nice to speak to you. :3

It sounds like you're on the right track to proper introductions.. however, when they fight is there any blood being drawn? I say, no blood = no foul. Your ratties have to establish who's the top cheese and that's why they're fighting. If there's no serious injury then just allow them to sort it out. (With your supervision, of course. )

Also, nibbling/licking is a good thing. As long as they're not drawing blood, that's great! They're just trying to see what you are. However, if you find they're biting too hard, a stern NO! Should do the trick.

Best of luck. ; 3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there! Nice to speak to you. :3

It sounds like you're on the right track to proper introductions.. however, when they fight is there any blood being drawn? I say, no blood = no foul. Your ratties have to establish who's the top cheese and that's why they're fighting. If there's no serious injury then just allow them to sort it out. (With your supervision, of course. )

Also, nibbling/licking is a good thing. As long as they're not drawing blood, that's great! They're just trying to see what you are. However, if you find they're biting too hard, a stern NO! Should do the trick.

Best of luck. ; 3
There is a little blood with Oli, because he has no hair to block incoming damage..I've cut their nails but he's still getting scratches on him that aren't going away in a day.

& I thought so, because he is very hyper and likes to chase our hands around and play-wrestle. It's so cute <3

I don't have an answer, but I wanted to say Sir Oliver McTwistyWhiskers is the best name ever!!
Thank you very much :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

It's been about 3 more days of level swapping and sniffing through cage bars. I decided to reintroduce them in the bathtub. Oli was much more gentle this time and only tried to play with Argo. All was well with only a few squabbles for about 30mins, until Oli decided to eat some seeds. Argo ran up with hunched back/spiked fur and before I could grab him he bit Oli really hard on the back feet and on the side. I separated them because Argo was not stopping, he was really trying to hurt him I think.
Oli has a total of 2 deep bites and 2 light ones. Two on his back legs and one on his side/rump. The other is up near his head. It took about 10 mins to get the bleeding to stop on his rump.

What should I do now? Keep trying? Or call it quits?
Argo is being pretty distant now, we have him on the bed with us but he is in freeze mode. Oli seems to be ok now after some cuddles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts