Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my vet gave me some meloxicam to give to Ink once a day. She wrote down that the dose is 0.25ml. Does this sound right? It sounds like heaps to me...
It is oral suspension for dogs and is 1.5mg/ml meloxicam and Ink weights 370g.
I am wondering if she missed a zero when writing it down. Especially since she gave me a little attachment for the syringe so it was more likely to get in his mouth 'cause it was such a tiny amount... He is also on baytril 0.15ml twice daily so I don't see why she would give me the syringe attachment for the meloxicam not the baytril if what is written is correct...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the box it says that for dogs the initial dose is 0.2mg/kg and I can't imagine rats being able to tolerate more. If I gave Ink 0.25ml of this stuff it would be 0.375mg of meloxicam right? That is a lot for his weight isn't it?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Rats are actually very good at tolerating meloxicam. I have no experience in giving it to other animals, but I have given 0.2 for a small girl which is on the low side. And in the past for a more serious condition, I have given up to 0.6. Comparing it to a dog's dose, it does sound very high. But the dose that was prescribed is actually probably pretty conservative, assuming your girl is around 350-400g. It is possible to safely increase the dose too if needed, but check with your vet first ofc.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Oh I missed that you gave her weight. Yes 0.25 sounds totally acceptable as a low starting dose for 370g.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts