Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so update on a recent post I made, I took cuddles to the vet, who thinks he has meningitis. His eyes are sensitive to light and his neck is really in a lot of pain, it seems that he is in agony! he is on high doses of metacam and baytril. Now I have 3 other rats who are sick. Im wondering if this could be the same thing because apparently its really contagious! anybody dealt with this before? any advice at all please:( his chances are slim, he is already so ill! he has a week to recover, if nothing then that's it! im not leaving him in this pain. He cant even open his eyes and its so hard to watch him like this, he is now in a cat carrier with a blanket over it and the lights out sleeping in bed with me as ive been up all night with him panicking!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
There is a form of viral menengitis in rats unfortunatly and if all your rats are showing similar symptoms its likley to be this. I've had a dig around for information (there was an outbreak in the UK a few years ago) as i know Baytril isnt great for brain infections (doesnt cross the blood/brain boundary well) and a friend i trust recommends amoxyclav or cephalexin (possibly on top of the baytril) for this kind of issue for the whole group (even the well ones). I would also put the ill ones on steroids if your vet will perscribe them or failing that metacam. They should help reduce the swelling and improve the symptoms.

Heres a link to a topic on another forum where the owner had an outbreak of viral menegitis http://fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12312

1 - 2 of 2 Posts