Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I merged my four older boys with my two young ones today and everything went well. I did the whole process slowly. We did a 2 week quarantine where the little guys were in another part of the house. Then on week 3 I moved their cage into the main rat room. They've been in there, separate but close, for two weeks. Today I put the two little ones in a plastic tub in the living room and added the big guys one by one, about 30 minutes apart, until they were all together. I left them in there for most of the day while I clean ped both cages throughly. I didn't want the big ones to get terratorial so I put them all back into the smaller cage that the little ones had been living in. There was some minor scuffling, but nothing major at all and now Tempy and Diggles (the Alpha's from both groups) are sleeping together in a hammock. The rest are kind of spread around, but I suspect they will be fine.

I had been stressing over this for a while so I'm happy it went so well. In a few days I'll try moving them over to the big cage and hopefully the merger will be complete.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Congratulations! I'm super happy it all seems to be working out. Gives me hope because I'm about to start introductions between my two older boys and two younger. II really hope everything stays well for you and your boys. =)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Congrats, sounds like everything went great! :D How old are the old boys and the young boys?
I will also be intro'ing males of two very different age groups in a couple of weeks after quarantine, I hope mine goes smooth like yours too

[mis.kay] Good luck with your intro! :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little bit of a hiccup this morning. Diggles is doing fine, but Ollie is not adapting as well. He gets very freaked out when one of the bigger guys tries to challenge him and that makes them more agressive, especially Zeeky. No blood, but some very rough altercations. Right now I've got Ollie and Zeeky alone in the plastic tub so they can work out their stuff. What's a little discouraging about this is Zeeky is the only one that's neutered and yet he's being the most agressive. I mean the reason we got him neutered was because he was being agressive with the older boys, so I guess it's in his nature, but we'd hoped that the neuter would help him here as well. (It did help with the agression toward the other boys)

As for age.... My older boys are just over a year old. The new ones are only a couple months old.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I feel bad for Ollie. Diggles is already integrated, sleeping with the others, but Ollie just sleeps in a corner by himself and squeaks whenever any of the others come near him. Not sure why they've accepted Diggles but not Ollie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts