Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, rat dad Adrien here!

Several years ago I had some pet rats that were really great, and I missed having them around, so I talked my husband into letting me get some more. He has never even been around pet rats before, but he's excited to have them now. We went to PetCo and intended to get two male rats, which we named Merry and Pippin.
Vertebrate Mammal Comfort Fawn Pet supply

Hair Eye Rodent Fawn Whiskers

However, we were surprised when we got them home and realized Merry was actually a girl! So we unfortunately had to make the tough decision of which one to keep and which to return, and we ended up deciding to exchange the male for another female.

Since that PetCo was only supposed to have males in stock we actually had to go to a different store to find Merry a gal pal, but the only store anywhere near me that had them only had much smaller rats, so Pippin II is pretty much a baby. (She looks very similar to the first Pippin, which is why we picked her.)
Eye Carnivore Felidae Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats

So far Pippin has been very shy and timid and spends most of the time hiding, but she pokes her head out to sniff me sometimes. Merry is super outgoing and playful and loves to climb all over us and collect toys and treats we give her. My husband has been giving her coins to play with, which I think is hilarious because he wants to try training her to trade coins for treats. 😹 I dunno if the world is ready for rats to understand currency yet.

Here is one of my favourite photos so far. 💛
Forehead Nose Cheek Chin Eyebrow

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi and welcome! The girls seem to be warming up to you already. :)
Just wanted to mention, since one of them has been with a male, you should probably be on the lookout for pregnancy, . They're only pregnant for 3 weeks so it won't take long before you know for sure.
If you suspect she's having babies, keep us posted. There are lots of helpful online resources people can recommend if you need help.

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome! The girls seem to be warming up to you already. :)
Just wanted to mention, since one of them has been with a male, you should probably be on the lookout for pregnancy, . They're only pregnant for 3 weeks so it won't take long before you know for sure.
If you suspect she's having babies, keep us posted. There are lots of helpful online resources people can recommend if you need help.
Yeah, we are a little bit worried she might be, especially since she shared a cage with two males in the store, but we've been keeping an eye on her, and if she does have babies we'll try to find good loving homes for them.

Thanks for the welcome. :3

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update: Merry is a criminal. I was taking photos of her and she tried to steal my phone. 😹

Anyway, here's a kinda sorta good one of both of them together.
Vertebrate Pet supply Rodent Mammal Whiskers

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had a Merry and Pippin!!! Mine were boys, and also had Samwise, Gilly and Gimli. They were all adopted, so I'm very proud.

Your ladies are adorable, very handsome ratties :giggle: Looks like you guys will have awesome and amazing little friends! They are such monkeys, the girls. I have two and they are ALWAYS the first to the door, first to get a treat, first to escape, first to cause trouble whenever they can. I love the ladies 🥰

Reactions: AdrienVan

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a Merry and Pippin!!! Mine were boys, and also had Samwise, Gilly and Gimli. They were all adopted, so I'm very proud.

Your ladies are adorable, very handsome ratties :giggle: Looks like you guys will have awesome and amazing little friends! They are such monkeys, the girls. I have two and they are ALWAYS the first to the door, first to get a treat, first to escape, first to cause trouble whenever they can. I love the ladies 🥰
Aww, I love The LOTR theme here! 😹
I've had boy rats before, but I was always afraid to get girls because they're said to be more active and I was afraid they would run away. I'm so glad that hasn't been the case with these gals so far. Merry is legit the friendliest rat I've ever met. 💛

1 - 7 of 7 Posts