Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two rat girls that I got a week ago are settling in nicely together. At first I was afraid they wouldn't get along, but they've taken to sleeping together in this box, and Merry has gotten less aggressive about stealing Pippin's food. (And Pippin has started learning how to avoid letting Merry get her food. lol)
Wood Flooring Rectangle Tints and shades Shelf
Fawn Rodent Felidae Whiskers Art

Not only that, but I think Pippin is learning to trust me more. She still doesn't want to be picked up and held like Merry does, but she doesn't get freaked out when I hold her now, so that's good. :3
She also recently started coming to the cage door when I open it.
Rodent Rat Whiskers Fawn Snout

At this point we've pretty much confirmed for certain that Merry is expecting pups (an accident that occurred in the store before I bought her) but I had trouble getting a photo that really shows the full roundness of her belly. I wonder how many babies are in there.
Fawn Rodent Gas Snout Whiskers

Anyway, who's up for a game of "guess how many rats are in my rat"? (Actually I think I might make this a whole new thread? I'm gonna offer a prize to whoever guesses correctly!)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Are you interested in any links about housing for expectant rats, caring for new litter, etc? If so, I'll put some links up for you.

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you interested in any links about housing for expectant rats, caring for new litter, etc? If so, I'll put some links up for you.
I've been reading up on stuff posted in the "caring for accidental litters" thread, but I've been having some trouble deciding which cage to use for her to have the babies in. I've read some conflicting information regarding whether rats should give birth in a regular wire cage or a glass tank.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think the main things to consider are that it is smaller than a normal rat cage (I always thought this was so the mother felt secure), with only one level so that Mum doesn't give birth on a ledge where the babies could fall. Some ventilation is good, also away from drafts so even if it has bars its good if part of the base is covered in. Put a little hidey house in there for privacy, with white paper towels for her to nest in.. This will let you see clearly how much blood she has lost during delivery. Sometimes the mother gets a bit out-of-character protective around the time the babies arrive. Its usually only temporary.
Here is my favourite link about setting up a cage for a pregnant rat:

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
update: Merry has been moved to her birthing cage. She seems like she's about ready to pop any day now.

This seems to be stressing both of them out. I hope they calm down a bit soon. Merry does not like being in the smaller cage, and I assume Pippin is sensing that discomfort and responding to it. I hope they don't think they're getting separated again like at the pet store. 😭

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Keep us updated! We lurv the babies 🥰

Reactions: AdrienVan

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Update: I am just getting off work right now, but my husband just called me and said Merry is giving birth now! We shall soon get to see the babies. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts