Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a sad couple of days around here.

Yesterday I was awoken at 2 am by my frantic boyfriend. Two of Pippa's babies had died, from Hydrocephalus. Their heads were swollen and one had been experiencing mild seizures a few hours before hand. They were both PEW, like their Uncle Norman, one boy and one girl. I was planning to keep the little girl, and named her Sophie. My boyfriend named the boy Pudge, because he was the biggest of the litter. No one should pass unnamed. Their siblings began opening their eyes today, so Sophie and Pudge were just shy of seeing the world. They join the other little babies at The Rainbow Bridge, Vincint and Reoshen.

This morning we woke to another tragedy. Carmen was sitting in the corner with clenched paws and a severe head tilt. He was in obvious pain with his eyes sunken in, so I gave him some Ibuprofen. He seemed to be recovering, eating and drinking with assistance, and had bright eyes. We had some cuddles, before I left for work. I was gone for about an hour. When I returned, he was already gone. Apparently he was doing fine, before having a violent seizure and passing suddenly. He was my first rat since I've been on my own, and his brother will miss him. His litter brother Russel is still around. He left in time to guide the little ones to The Bridge, and to keep them safe.

I believe Carmen is the father of the litter, which would make me think these deaths were related. I have informed the potential adopters. The litter was an accident, but I hope anyone who ever considers breeding rats takes this as a warning. This is what happens when rats with unknown health problems have litters. Cramen was the result of this, and he passed it on.

I hope all the boys welcome them. I feel like Carmen and William would have gotten along, with DJ getting more babies to take care of and nurture, just like he always wanted. Oliver, the head honcho, is there to take care of the clan, and Charlie and and Moot complete the family. I only hope no one else is lost before their time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can't even imagine losing so many wonderful ratties so quickly, give your remaining bubs enough love for both them and all the loved ones that have passed.. I'm crying now. Carmen will keep them safe for you and for pippa. Keeping them in my thoughts, take care smilebud

1 - 2 of 2 Posts