Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is milk ok for rats to drink? Not from a bottle like a substitute for water but more as a little bit here and there as a treat.

i gave my guy a little bit of milk in a soda bottle cap and he absolutely loved it. He was so dissapointed when it was gone.

He'll have strong bones! 8)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm sure he liked it, but cow's mild can give rats upset tummies, so I wouldn't give them much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as long as its not like lethal or anything.

i drink rice milk sometimes...so maybe he can have some of that next time.

Ill keep the cows milk to a minimum. Like i said i give him only a capful..not even.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would stick with soy. Mmmm... soy...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I usually give my girls a lick or two from my bowl when I'm done with my cereal, I'm pretty sure it's their favorite part of the day. But it's usually just one or two mouthfulls, since I make an effort to drink most of the milk myself (I hate taking any away from them, I'd rather give them just enough to finish it off themselves).

·
Registered
527 Posts
i read somewhere that rats shouldn't be given any dairy products..
but they seem to always want a tiny nibble of the cheese i'm eating or milk i'm drinking, and you guys let your rats have a bit of dairy, so i guess i'll give some to my girls as a special treat once in a while. =)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Technically, I think it's true - it would be *best* not to give dairy. BUT... a bit doesn't hurt much. As long as their poops stay hard, and they don't appear to be in any distress, I wouldn't worry. I just wouldn't feed much, or daily.

I think I said above, we feed soy. I try to avoid dairy, just because it is uncomfortable to have tummy discomfort, as anyone knows. But they do get the occasional piece of cheese (that's about the only dairy I feed, though, other than yogurt - which I sometimes stick with soy anyhow). Once in awhile is nothing to worry about.

That said, I'd still advocate not feeding cow's milk, and sticking with soy, rice, goat's, almond, etc.

·
Registered
730 Posts
As someone who is lactose intolerant I must say for the sake of your ratties tummies, resist the urge! An upset belly from milk/milk products downright sucks, and isn't very comfortable (and can be VERY painful). A great alternative is soy milk, which gives you the happiness of spoiling them, and no upset tummy :D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts