Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the youngest rat you have seen with mammary tumors? I have two females that are both rescues. I have no clue how old they are. One I got from the spca and the other I got from a lady that found her in the parking lot near her work. If I have to guess how old they are I would say around 1 year. I've only had them for 3 months. They are both healthy other wise and very active. They have both already had one growth removed and I have just noticed they both have another growth. I haven't taken them to the vet because I just noticed them and it is also midnight. I am going to make an appointment with my vet first thing in the morning. I was just wondering what others have experienced in the past. These are my first girls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If they are young and otherwise healthy if you're thinking of having their other lumps removed I'd consider getting them spayed at the same time. Iv had to put my 2 year old female pts today as her FIFTH AND SIXTH lumps were getting too big. There's no guarantee (asim sure you're now aware) that getting a lump removed means they won't get any more. My rat had 2 operations since April , having 4 lumps removed. Straight after she recovered fully another one would popup.
Because of this iv now had my 2younger females Spayed. having to put my rat to sleep just because of tUmours was very upsetting as she was healthy otherwise and could have lived a lot longer. You could try having her spayed to prevent further tumor growth. I hope for your sake that just getting the Tumour removed will stop others from growing.
Good luck with everything

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think spaying may be only beneficial to young rats. I had my older girl spayed at the same time as her first tumor removal and she still had 3 more pop up.. It's worth a try though, but studies I've read about benefits of spaying suggest it's much more beneficial to younger girls. If they're healthy enough for surgery though, you may as well try it! Just be very careful they don't chew their spay incision and open up their abdomen.

In the past with all my girls over the years, I've noticed they tend to start getting the tumors after about 1 1/2 years, but I'm sure it's possible at almost any age. Just more likely in middle aged and older girls. But I have 2 2 year old girls who so far have been lucky enough to not develop any yet. One is not spayed, and one had an emergency spay only just a few months ago. I also have 2 1 year old girls who I got spayed when they were both probaby around 3 or 4 months old so I'm hoping when they are older, they won't develop any.

I don't know if it works as a preventative, but I know using Turkey Tail mushroom helps to usually slow the growth of tumors. You can buy it it on Amazon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried galastop prescribed from the vet for a month to see if it would have any effect on the growth of my rassys tumour. unfortunately it didn't change anything but I think galastop should only work on a certain type of tumour.I tried turkey tail mushroom in the last couple of weeks and again it didn't help. to be honest, trying to read online aboit turkey tail didn't give many positive results.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies. I took them both to the vet Saturday and decided Duck will have hers removed. Her tumor is between her hind legs and could potentially cause other problems. I already asked about spaying when I had the first set of tumors removed. Vet said at this point it probably wouldn't help as much as if they were younger and not knowing how old they really are she wasn't comfortable with doing the spay. :/

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think spaying may be only beneficial to young rats. I had my older girl spayed at the same time as her first tumor removal and she still had 3 more pop up.
I had the same experience. My rat was spayed at 1.5 years when she had a lump removed, but was covered in tumors when she died at 2 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts