Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a new baby girl; she looks to be 4.5 to 5 weeks old. I'll post an intro for her in the mmr section soon but for now I'm trying to work out her coloring. I think she's mink. She's a self and the AFRMA coloring guide matches her spot on. Here's a link to it: http://www.afrma.org/ratselfs.htm

The photos I have of her now aren't that great because of lighting and she's squirmy, but can anyone who has minks please post the photos here so I can compare?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You won't know for sure until after she molts and guard hairs come in, most likely.

I couldn't tell my cinnamon and my mink apart before then. After the molt, the ticking became apparent. Mink is just an all-over mauve-ish brown. No ticking, no variation in hairs.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The best way to tell a Cinny from a mink is belly colours, agouti based colours all have pale bellys, cinny included. You can use this to tell what they are from about 2 weeks (well at least as to wether there self or agouti based.

As to photos of minks, the trouble is they come in so many varieties of colours, they range from brown tinged grey (some are almost steely like russian blues) to a pinkish broweny colour and this can change on the same rat from moult to moult or even from patch to patch (mink is often annoyingly patchy). Then you get the 2 different types of mink, US and UK mink (which are in both countries to add to the fun lol) one useually with red or ruby eyes, the other with black eyes. Oh and then theres the pearl gene that often wanders along to cause issues, we recently discovered out rubbish mink mum was actually a rubbish dark phased pearl when she had more obvious pearled offspring. Your best bet is to wait until shes had her first adult moult (week 6 ish) and get a photo of her in natural light on a white background and we can help

·
Registered
664 Posts
I could be wrong but I always thought my Wednesday looked mink colored.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Shes a mink Vari, though possibly got a bit of dark phase pearl going on as she looks like she has a pale undercoat (its a fine line between mink and dpp), she looks more like american mink in tone, but seems to have black eyes so may just be a warm english mink

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, I see. Thanks guys! I'll get better photos later tonight once I deep clean the big girls cage and let them play a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts