Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Nenn and I have been discussing .. and I decided to put this to general opinion.

Are these mismarked bareback or hoodeds? They don't seem to fall into either catagory!

Ray

Taz

And cute little booty spots

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well i have a mismarked bareback and a hooded, my mismarked bareback's colouring doesn't go down onto her chest like that, and my hooded's doesn't either, sorry i wasn't much of a help, maybe a more knowledgable person when it comes to colour can help you

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww that last pic is TOO cute!

Using those pics - def mismarked hoodeds lol

It's been bugging me for ages - now I know. Thank you!

And the zipper chins are cute - Ray and Taz are half-brothers and they've inherited each others chins lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sometimes rats don't fall into just one markings category. They are in between. I would lean more towards mismarked hoodeds myself, but someone else might say bareback.

I've run into the same difficulty with one of mine- Dobbie. My mentor just said pick a marking type that most resembles what you see, tack on mismarked, and viola! There ya go.

With those pictures and markings, there is no right or wrong really. It's opinion based. Now.. were they Berkshires and you asking about mismarked hooded-vs-bareback, you might be in trouble lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
from the feedback I have received over the years they would be called mismarked hooded because a bareback is simply a hooded without a stripe. Is there somewhere that describes what be considered a mismarked bareback?

I have a couple rats that fall into this category as well. My big boy DD is such. After much debate one person came up with a very good idea of what he should be called & that was an Essex rat. He could be capped but the color runs a little to far down the back of his neck to be capped. He could be bareback but there is a notch out of the back of his neck like the capped. He also has no other color on his body which goes with the bareback theory. Then color on his face area follows the capped standards because it stops at his jaw line & there is no color on his throat. Then there is the blaze that divides the cap into two portions creating that split cap effect. Then the final thing going on is the distinct diamond spot on the middle of his head. He has a little of everything going on but the essex seems to fit best.

Then I have another boy with the self-explanatory name Blaze. He too has this same 'not quite cap not quite bareback' thing going because the color goes down on the back of the neck a little too far.. His blaze is a perfect wedge blaze. But then there is this thing with his spots. He has little spots of color all over his body. I don't know if this leans toward the variegated &/or dalmatian or if it leans toward a mismarked hooded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.