Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to keep my two ratties on a fairly regular "schedule," as far as things like morning goodies, evening goodies, playtime, etc. In addition, there are many unscheduled, short playtimes during the day, when I take them out and hold them, or put my hand in and pet them. And I'm ALWAYS talking to them and giving them attention when I'm here.

I have a playtime of at least an hour set aside for around midnight or one AM, which is usually when they get playful.

Tonight, Boo wanted to play, but Gus was asleep in a hammock, and, after a few attempts to wake him, I accepted his answer of, "I'm sleepy and comfy, so let me sleep."

So this was fine, but now, it's almost three AM, MOMMY is tired and would like to get a little sleep, and Gus is pulling a guilt-trip, because he didn't get to come out, earlier. And, of course, it's working...now I feel tired and really guilty, too.

What should I do in these situations?

1. "You wanted to sleep when it was time to come out, so if you want to play now, you'll just have to play in your three story home, with your baby brother, who always wants to play."

OR

2. "I'm exhausted, but I love you more than anything, so even though this will ruin me tomorrow, I'll take you out and play. I can't stand to see you unhappy."

-------------------------------

I'd put a fun and interesting toy in their home right now, but I think I've used up most of the "fun and interesting" toys I have.

If no one responds to this, I'll probably take Gus out.

I'm trying to get a "Great Wall" for these situations, so I can put them right by my bed while I rest.

I should probably get a couple of extra toys, too. (I've totally used up my entire supply of "healthy" treats for them.)

Some nights I don't get tired, and don't have a problem accommodating this, but I have plans for tomorrow, and I am tired.

Anyway...

Thanks.

P.S. If it were a human child, I'd tell them to scoot their little butt back into bed this second! ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think once in a great while, a missed playtime won't *hurt* if you honestly need the sleep. :) But it's so hard with those faces so I'd probably give in, too. But I'd probably have it be a shorter playtime.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*yawn*

I just this second got out of the "rat rumpus room" with Gus. He's "helping" me to type this.

I just couldn't tell him "no." (I hear people saying to me, "It's easy - just say, NO!" :) )

Playtime is when we take time for Gus to lay down next to me, and for me to give him "pets" (a word he know,) "ears," (skritches, but "ears" is the word he knows,) and "love," (a word he definitely knows.) While petting, I repeat, "lovelovelovelovelovelove," or "GusGusGusGusGus." He gets the idea.

Then he "grooms" me, and attends to me, so the tables are turned. I always "notice" by telling him, "Gus loves MOMMY!" :D

I wouldn't want to miss out on the love; and I really want my babies to be as healthy as possible.

------------------------------

So, I'm going to head to bed, but I've scrounged up some new "toys" for inside the house: A small cannister half-full of rice, which makes noise, a brand new rag to chew, a piece of cardboard with some holes, and a paper towel. In addition, Little Brother has plenty of energy, and would love to wrestle, so I'm just hoping that will be enough for tonight.

I'm going to pick up some more toys and a Great Wall, soon.

I didn't mention it, but "playing" doesn't count if I'm not there, "playing" with them. Even if they are both up in the hiding drawer, where I can't possibly fit, they want me THERE, in the room.

I think that, if they had their way, I'd shrink every night, be a guest at their home, and play and sleep with them.

Heck, I'd agree to that...there are many things worse I could do with my nights! :)

Can you love your rats too much?

OK, when I wake up, I'll read everybody's thoughts on this...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a cage for Noah in my room and its right beside my bed. Sometimes even though I have spent hours playing with him and I need to sleep. I will be woken up by him pulling on my pillowcase.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What can you do, eh?

Whatever The Rat wants, The Rat gets, because they're so full of love! :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y'know, I've been thinking about Jessu's/Noah's setup all day, and, believe it or not, I'm wondering if I can set something up in my room whereby my rat home can be right near my bed, in case anyone wants to "visit" overnight.

Everyone around here assumes I must be joking, but I'm not. :) I want my ratties to be as close as possible! I figured you guys would at least believe me, and might not even consider me insane! :lol:

I just got a new "tempurpedic" bed, which is wonderful, but it takes up a lot of room in my room. So, we are looking to rehome 3 Chinese Algae eaters (fish) and a handful of African Dwarf Frogs. This should not be a problem, because the 29 gallon aquarium, stand, filter, heater, water treatments, food, etc. all come with it...I'm just looking for the right "home." (I don't typically "give animals up," but it was in my long term plans to only keep the aquarium for awhile, and trust me, I will insure that all inhabitants will be kept happy and healthy.)

Anyway, I'm wondering if, after the aquarium is gone, maybe I can move my nightstand to the other side of the bed - this holds a light and some soda, and whatever - and where the nightstand used to go, in the place next to where I sleep, we can put the ratties. I expect folks around the house to question my sanity A LOT when they realize it isn't a joke, but I'm sure Noah would understand. I want to spend as much time as possible giving my babies love. :D

So...I'm now officially "rat crazy!"

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
its only now your official? geeze you must have some very tolerant friends... nearly everyone here is likely considered the crazy rat lady/guy. its nice to welcome you to the club though. right now we're discussing whether we should have pins made to publicly declare ourselves to anyone who might not know. the problem we've come across is finding the right mascot face, there's so many cute ones that we just can't decide on any... :lol:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: Actually, most of my friends love my rats!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
mine do to but they still call me the crazy rat lady, its said with affection though (at least this is what i tell myself... :eye roll: ) :lol:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I am "rat-crazy," as it were. I know this because if any human tried to get near my Ben And Jerry's designer ice cream, that I only eat once in a blue moon, they would be flirting with death! On the other hand, I actually ~offer~ it to my babies! And I'm so NICE about it, too - like a totally different person:

"Do you want a taste of icy-cream? Do you want a sweetie? You LOVE a sweetie! Good sweetie, huh? Good sweetie!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(Don't worry - the vet and I had a discussion about stuff like pudding and ice cream. She reckoned that, since my kids are SO partial to starches, pudding and ice cream actually work as a plus, because they contain dairy, which translates to protein. Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled! :D Still, they don't eat much, so I especially don't mind sharing.)

-----------------------------

I still want to know what everyone would do when the rat(s) want to play, and you want to sleep.

Everyone except Noah, that is. Noah is King of His House. :D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
when i lived with my parents i would open the cage door then go back to bed (the cage was in my room). sometimes i would wake up and have to try to convince someone that my toes really aren't chew toys and my ears don't need to be cleaned that badly. but now that i have such a large colony and they are in the living room of my own apartment they don't seem to beg for attention from me as much as they used to. the cage is bigger too and they have more toys and other rats to play with too. being in the living room they are also always privvy to the comings and goings and get more attention and treats from other people then just mommy too.

right now its nearly 5 in the morning and everyone is asleep too so it help that they like to sleep at night too.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier in the thread when we were talking about friend reactions, but...

...the only friend I have who wouldn't want a pet rat has a very good reason: "I don't like pets with short lifespans." That isn't the same as not liking rats...that's loving them too much to go through the heartbreak.

But I think that if you have a rat friend that makes you care and love that deeply, it's worth everything for the love.

-----------------------------

Wish I could let my rats roam in my room, but there are too many "dangerous places."

·
Registered
489 Posts
My two girls have a small nite nite cage so they cant get out(they'e been escapin whch i dont mind. just the fact that lately they have been venturing for hours without even pokin a head out to let me know thye are safe, so i worry and dont let them venture as much. Then the otheer two livein the playtime massive cage 24/7. Victoria cant get out of that but Duchess can.

When duchess gets out, she doesnt wander. She goes on my bed and waked me up and plays with me at obscene hours. I have a big bed so i know i wont squish her( i know many of you dont like rats in bed at nite for that reason). And when im really tired and cant play when she wakes me up, i put her in the non escapable cage. but most of the time, when she wakes me i play with her.

Theres been numerous nites i kill myself by stayin up because when the two girls go to the door and give me that look, i cant refuse. I spoil my girls. not as much as you, Holly, but im def gettin there.

And i am a Crazy Rat Lady, EVERYTIME i leave work, i leave with treats or a toy for the girls. And i work alot.

I'll make a pin one of these days =] because im proud of bein a crazy rat lady.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol: I'd wear that pin!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts