Rat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roger got out this morning (Literally left the cage doors opened for 5 minutes while answering a phone call in the other room.)

NO idea where he is, sigh. Could be anywhere.

Picked up all wires...
Left food/piece of bread out with his favourite box and water.

Any other suggestions as to how I should try and capture him?

He's the smallest/shyest one.

DEFINITELY not having a good day.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Live animal traps work, but they snap closed very fast and loud. When I caught on of my rats in one, the noise freaked him out and I didn't give him time to get over it. I was so glad to see him that I opened the trap and he was so freaked that he got away again. So if you use one make sure you give him time to quiet a bit before opening it, and open it in the bathroom or something so if he does run you will have a better chance of getting him.

What ultimately worked for me was to put his cagemates in another cage and leave his cage open with peanut butter lollipops on the very bottom. I waited quietly til he came out and got into the cage. I had a string tied to the door and pulled the door closed as soon as he was on the bottom of the cage. Not so frightening for him and I then left him til morning. Peanut butter can be dangerous to rats if they get a glob caught in their throats so I make "peanut butter lollipops" by spreading about a pea-size bit over the bowl of a plastic spoon in a very thin layer. They love it and it's safe for them this way. The rat this happened with was fairly new to me and not much socialized yet. Smelly treats he loves may lure him out, though he may be sleeping now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you for the sage advise. Your capture story sounds frustratingly comical. Sigh, I hope I find him.
He could honestly be anywhere. The only place I didn't look for him was in my closet as I had to go to work.

My mother keeps going in there to see if he's nibbled on food. No sign yet.

Siiiiighh. I feel SO stupid.
The other ones are super outgoing and they'd be easy to find if they got out and I trust them all enough to return.

Roger is the only one I'm actually worried about.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Well, here's the good news. After a few hours, even my most adventurous rats get bored and go to sleep. Some sit on the cage as if saying "alright, I'm done. You can put me back now".

I've lost rats a bunch. God. They're so smart. Since he's shy, it's gonna be harder. But still.

Step one is to get places he CANT be out of the way - he CANT have gotten out the room or down the stairs (rats can do stairs well, usually) or in this other room etc. Check the closet, don't discount the shelves up top as rats are excellent climbers and jumpers. Most lost rats of mine are hidden high up with no clue how they got there. Once you rule it out, block it off. Do this as much as you can. This may unfortunately entail cleaning your room - that pile of clothes needs dealt with, make your bed, etc. If he is napping, he may burrow. Check drawers. Yes, they were closed there was no way etc etc butttt he may be in one. Also, most cabinets and such have a dip in them that can make for great hiding spots. Have a flash light ready, you need to check under an behind everything. Depending on his age, he only needs a 3/4-1inch gap to get in or past something.

The good part of this is you may (unfortunately) scare him so bad he makes a beeline for the cage.

Next, sit quietly. If you think you can tempt him, make some super smelly food or rustle the treat bag but otherwise silently entertain yourself. Do so with minimal movement. You'll hear him or see him if he is out and about.

If he somehow is still missing, you should open a carrier and place his things inside and wait. If you have a well trained rat or a well behaved predator animal, they can assist (my dog is afraid of my rats, but will sniff them out and quiver when she finds them).

Then you can start leaving bait and traps out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank-you so much for your response. I'm literally almost in tears right now.
Rofl, I have a cat. >_> But she's so weird (She literally rubbed up against Gandalf the other day.) I honestly don't think she'd do anything, but predatory instincts you know? So that's what I'm worried about.. plus he's so small and squirmish.

Sigh, I'm so sad right now and I'm at work all day.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I saw a documentry about cats and it showed that house cats can't handle something as big as a rat because they only use 2 front paws. It's farm cats that are semi wild and hunt for upkeep who know how to get rats. Your cat will more than likely run away from a rat if they come into conflict. Hence all the rat chasing cat videos on youtube. :p Or even rats chasing dogs!

Also check he hasn't made a hole in the bottom of the bed and sneaked in. Goodluck!

·
Registered
870 Posts
When my rat was missing, our cat showed no interest. If your mother is keeping an eye out, and your cat becomes interested, it may indicate where to look. I really expect you will recover him. Try not to worry too much.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I found him.

No elusive capturing.... as guess where he was? In his cage the WHOLE time. I even went home from work early because I was so upset.

He was sleeping in the pillow case/towel I use to cover the smaller levels of the cage..

I discovered this AFTER tearing my whole room apart.

Lol. I'm just so relieved. Errmerrgerrd

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Whew! What a relief!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Glad you found him ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL - I am so sorry you went through so much stress, but my goodness, that's so funny.

Rofl, I thought it was funny too... After I found him. x)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
... and it's about time you taught your little guy the "come" command... in my home, it's about the only way I can recover my rats....

First I call nicely... offer smelly treats and crinkle wrappers... which usually doesn't work if Cloud is sleeping soundly......

Then I move on to screaming at the top of my lungs and work my way through obscenities and threats... which also doesn't usually work...

Then I usually calm down and catch my breath and start over being all sweet talking and nice again... which is when Cloud usually turns up...

Phase one generally gets ignored, as it might not be important... phase two means I'm serious, but Cloud's not stupid enough to come out and get yelled at in person... then when I start over all calm again she figures it's safe to come out and important enough that I'm not going to go away or stop being a pest. So, it may be a procedure...but as long as I know I can always recover her, I pretty much don't worry about where she goes or where she is.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hahaha. Yes D: I KNOW.

I spent the day rat proofing my room in case an emergency DOES happen. So now they can actually free range around my room without issue.
But, I am now determined to begin the whole come/name training thing.

I will be starting this evening.

Boo hoo. Hahaha.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the same experience, AdequateRat! It was the second day we had the new rats. I had them out of the cage (with the bedroom door closed) and in the space of a minute or so George just vanished. I tore the room apart and searched for him for two days. Eventually it turned out that he was hiding in the tray under the bottom wire level of the cage (that I'd covered with fleece so I couldn't see him, and didn't even catch sight of him when I pulled out the tray to look). He had climbed up the cage stand and hidden there. Sneaky little thing! I surprised him trying to rush back there when I came into the room after two days. I was super relieved!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar experience when I brought my rescue litter home! There were 16 and when I opened the carrier, 2 escaped, both black berkshires. I managed to catch one quickly and put him in the spare cage I kept set up for cleaning my big cage, which has 1/2 inch bar spacing (all of my cages have 7/16 or 1/2 inch, actually, lol), then I spent an hour looking for the second (who I found curled up inside a castle&dragon shaped cone-insence burner, so it has a big opening inside. I almost didn't see him when I picked it up to move it - he was snoozing! Anyway, I put him in the bin cage with the other 14, then went to retrieve the one from the spare cage... and couldn't find him anywhere. I swear I searched the entire practically-empty cage and did not find him, and I convinced myself he got through the bars. They were 4 and a half weeks old, so I thought they couldn't (end result... they couldn't), but I couldn't find him. I searched for hours in the room until my friend got home. He found himquickly - hiding in the top corner of the cage in a piece of fleece that he had pulled through the top bars. He cheated, he found him by putting another baby in the cage, and when he climbed up into the fleece two tails fell down haha, but he found him in the cage I was certain he wasn't in (I had checked the fleece! It was turquoise fleece and a black rat! I will never understand).

I'm glad you found him, and I'm sorry it was so stressful for you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts