Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mostly made this post to ask what people do when their rats get out and you can't find them? is there anything special you do?? no my rat(s) haven't gotten out just wanted some ideas should the day come. I've hurd if you leave their cage open they will go right back in b/c they know home. However if you have more than one rat in that cage you'll have 2+ rats lose :|

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you have a spare cage or a pet carrier you could put in your rat's favorite treat along with a few things from home(ex. next box, hammock, bedding, something to make it similar to home).

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I have some tricky rats here who when they get loose they are "gone". They are part wild. These rats are now only allowed to have Out time in the bathroom or the Martins Pen.

If I can't catch these little beggars on my own, I have a Hav-a-Hart trap I have used. Most times if you have a nice socialized rat they will come to see you when they are done exploring. If you aren't sure where they are there are tricks like flour near where you think they are, so you can see footprints. Always put out food and water. Not much food but enough that they aren't starving on you. Then you can bait a trap with food if necessary. If you have other predatory animals (cats, dogs) then lock them away from the room in question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts