Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the Frontline products like the ear mites treatments that Walmart sells work on rats? I think my three rats have mites or something since they scratch quite a bit. There's no vet in my area that really sees rats so it's more difficult to figure it out.
Any help is great!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
The correct and safe treatment for mites is Revolution. It's effective, safe and inexpensive... it's prescription only... How you get around that depends on how creative you are.

I get it from a vet that doesn't see rats, so there's no office visit charge. Some folks get it on line and likely others have found other means.

I tried all sorts of things that just made my rats sick or at least miserable that didn't do anything for the mites.... Until I got creative.... and started calling vets.... When I heard yes we sell revolution, but no, we don't see rats. I was half way home.... Our very charming and charismatic and itchy, true shoulder rat did the rest.

Best luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I adopted two heavily infested rats a few months back, I treated them with Ivermectin. It is around 5$ and you can find it at a tractor supply store, I gave them each a dose about the size of a piece of rice once a week I believe. It did the trick and after three doses, they are mite free.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ebay does have Revolution in 3 tube packs if you want to do that. Amazon has an Ivermectin product called Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot on in several different small animal dosages if you don't want to try to get the correct dose for a rat from a tube intended for horses.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Until you can get your hands on Revolution (it pretty much needs to be that and not the store brand), you can grease your rats down in olive oil to suffocate the mites.

Don't oil them until they are dripping wet, just give them a good coating of olive oil. They will groom it off of each other but it supposedly suffocates the mites if you keep at it every few days or so.

I've had luck with treating the itching until I could get to the vet but I never tried to cure them with it. The only luck I've had there was Revolution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts