Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, hoping someone can help me with a few things until I can get to the vet, our new pet rats have some kind of pest and I need to know how to keep the house from getting contaminated. Anyone have any advice on how to keep the problem from growing until we can get diagnosis?

The symptoms are these little scabs on ears and like this dot near the eye, I thought they were bugs but looking under my kids microscope they are scabs. We did see a large 1mm size mite on my daughter but have yet to find any on the babies.

I put the cage on a table that has cups of water at the feet hoping that will keep the bugs from spreading past it but would love advice from people who know rats on what to do for the next few days, avoid taking out of cage? Any tips on cleaning? I plan to launder and clean the cage daily but am pretty terrified of spreading bugs when I do that.

Basically I’m terrified/phobic of bugs and could use your help. Our breeder is very hard to get in touch with, I guess we made a bad call working with her. :(

Thank you!

Here’s a pic of the scab by the eye, I couldn’t get a good one of the ears but can add later if anyone knows anything.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Scabs on the ears is possibly mange mites. It can turn their ears crusty around the edges. I believe the type of mites that cause this are species specific so you don't need to worry about them transferring to you. If it is mites, your vet will treat for them, making your rats toxic to the mites. Any mite that comes in contact with your rats will be killed. Any mite lingering around that don't come in contact with your rats will die of starvation.

It's not like bed bugs, you don't have to worry about it. Cleaning is fine but the medicine is going to do all the necessary work.

As for your rats eye, it looks like it's probably just a little bit of porphyrin, or rat eye-booger. That insignificant little dot is nothing to think twice about.

·
Registered
355 Posts
HI! you can treat mites/fleas/lice with a single dab of kitten revolution or kitten advantage II (NOT ADVANTAGE MULTI). The revolution you would need to get through a vet, but i believe the advantage II is over the counter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts