Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again! Okay, so if you've seen my other posts, you know I've been having trouble with one of my ratties; I think she has parasites of some kind. Well, I'm happy to say I asked my mother about it and I AM getting her to a vet.

I do think that she has mites. I read up about them, and apparently humans can catch them from their rats. Is this true? If it is, how likely is it that I'll get them from her, and what should I do if I do catch them? Also, can I still handle my girls if they have them?

Thank you so much for your help! :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Mites are very common, we sometimes get them with new rats. To my knowledge certain mites can infect other rodents, and they may or may not be able to live on people for a while, but they really can't reproduce on humans... So I'd say it's safe to handle your rats, they will go away once your rats are treated and cured.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yup they can't live off of human blood and my vet told me not to touch my rat for the rest of the day because of the treatment. I don't know if that's really all that bad to do but they know more than me... ;D

Here's my boy the day I got him.. He had pretty bad hair loss from scratching. You wont really know if it's mites until the vet does a skin scraping.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
When I see scabs or even excessive scratching I just treat with revolution... it's cheap, it's easy and it protects my girls for a month when they are outside in the summer.

Although Amph is technically more right than I am here... a proper diagnosis if you are in doubt is a very good idea, it's just that in my area it costs about $86.00... and so far one or two revolution treatments have always fixed my problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, "My rat is msarter than your honor student" is my new life motto
Secondly, understood! I'm very happy that I can still play with my girls, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I couldn't!

Thank you so much, you've been a huge help!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I didn't take him to the vet for the mites rat daddy you are right to say its a crazy price just for that. He actually had respiratory issues as well (couldn't leave the poor thing at the byb). I would have done the same and got some revolution. It wont do any harm to just treat them, I just got a free scraping because I was there. ;D I think it had more to do with them wanting to know if they had to wash up everything. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts