Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people of the rat forum.

I come to you today in heavy heart, and I am in desperate need of your help. I currently am the lucky owner of three wonderful rats, Bleu (the oldey and the sickey, but the kindest creature), Gouda (The previous tough guy), and Cracker (The new comer). I have a lot of health related questions, but I'll introduce some health information about my boys really fast.

Bleu is around 3 years and probably five months, and he has been suffering for quite some time. He is extremely thin and has been for a long time despite my best attempts to 'fatten' him up. He has a bright green pus that flows out of his penis. In the past eight months he has had paraphimosis a multitude of times, two or three tumors near his penis that have all burst, and in the past week he has peed a mixture of stuff containing blood a few times. More on him later.

Gouda is probably 3 years and four or five months as well, and in the past month or two, I have seen a rapid deterioration of his health. He has gone from the big tough guy to the old man with an infestation of mites. He, too, has grown increasingly thin, but not to the extent that Bleu has. Bleu and Gouda are currently in the same cage, and the have been for the past three years. They are very close.

Cracker is still less than a year old. He became very overpowering of Bleu and Gouda as they grew increasingly sick, so he's in his own cage.

On to the mites.....

So as I mentioned above, Gouda has mites (as far as I can tell), so I'll assume that all of my rats have it and treat them all for it. My question stems from the fact that I have a dog, so should I treat her as well?

Now back on to Bleu...

Is it time for me to put him to sleep? I hate the thought of it, but I'm worried that any treatment for him (if there are any and if anyone even knows what is wrong with him) won't be a good thing for him just because of his age. He is so frail, and I hate to even think how much pain he is in. He has had myco his entire life, and for some reason it has never progressed the occasional wheezing and it hasn't spread to the other rats. I've had rats with myco before, but Bleu doesn't seem to be suffering from it to much so....?
But with all that blood and tumor explosions and bright green stuff, can he really be saved? Would I be doing a disservice by keeping him here? I know this is a touchy subject for everyone, but I need some good solid answers from here. I just don't want Bleu to be suffering. I have some pictures of things if anyone would like to see.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Mites are apecies specific so you should be fine. If you can see them, though, they're not mites. Your dogs monthly flea preventative should protect him pretty well though. Being old and infested with parasites may be all your boy is suffering.

As to euthanasia, what treatment has he undergone? Just the pus and reoccurrence of a localized issue makes me think of an infection that cleaning it out and antibiotics could clear up. If he currently has an abscess or is oozing, saline it out thoroughly and apply raw honey. Keep the hole open with a qtip and apply honey daily. Get him on something broad spectrum.

However, this is assuming you think it's worth treatment. If he is actively suffering (or is going to be soon) usually I would eithanasize before treating. If you have doubts, express them to your vet.

Congratulations on your long-lived rats and here's to more time.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
To be clear, the bursting tumors are called abscesses. We have a treatment guide Stickied on the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much. I'll look into this right now. Do you know if there is any way I can bring his weight back up if his condition can be cured?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Protein or fat heavy foods. You can get a liquid diet called Critical Care from emerald; there's a paste at pet stores called Nutrical for kittens; cooked meat, dog food, wet cat food; ensure or baby soy milk in a second water bottle; soy milk mixed with baby rice cereal or brown sugar/maple oatmeal are all good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts