Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ratty has recently got a couple scabs under her chin and behind her ears. After researching I figured it was fleas so I cleaned the whole cage and all their toys, put it new [frozen] bedding, and checked her sister if she also had any scratches (she had only one tiny one). I don't know why my other rat has such bad scabs! I have tried to clip her nails but was only mildly successful, but they do have a lava rock in their cage to file their nails. I have a vet appointment for next week, and I am going to watch her closely to see if it goes away, but if anyone has any suggestions I am in need for help! This is the best photo I could get, its not very focused, but you might be able to see one of the big scabs and where it is:

Leg Felidae Carnivore Cat Small to medium-sized cats

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ask your vet for Kitten Revolution. Have them weigh your rats so they can dose it properly, and then dose them. Just a drop between their shoulder blades and keep them separated for a good 10 minutes to let the liquid dry out. If you get them treated with Revolution it should clear up quickly.

You don't need to freeze bedding, as all pet rats already have mites, just like every home contains dust mites. Infestations and scabbing occur when the mite population increases significantly. This is usually due to the health of the rat being compromised or from stress.

·
Registered
Boba, Theo and Diego
93 Posts
I swear by ivermectin. Kitten revolution is super expensive. All you need to do is give them the size of a grain of rice for rats over one pound and the size of half a grain of rice for rats under 1 pound. Do that once a week for 3 weeks and it should be gone. Mites can be caused by their bedding or weakened immune system so although it's not necessary to take your rat to the vet, it's a nice pre-cautionary measure

·
Registered
527 Posts
Mites are not caused by bedding. And ivermectin is easy to overdose. Kitten Revolution is easier and safer to administer. It might be a little more expensive than a $5 tube of ivermectin, but is it really worth the risk?

·
Registered
Boba, Theo and Diego
93 Posts
Mites are not caused by bedding. And ivermectin is easy to overdose. Kitten Revolution is easier and safer to administer. It might be a little more expensive than a $5 tube of ivermectin, but is it really worth the risk?
Mites can definitely be caused by bedding, especially aspen. Some people even recommend freezing it for 24 hours before use. Ivermectin is more than safe for rats, the dosage is very simple and as long as you're not stupid and putting a huge glob, they'll be fine. Some people cant afford a $50 thing of kitten revolution, especially if their rat is already having health issues and needing the vet which is a common cause of mites (weakened immune system). Ivermectin is recommended to treat mites pretty commonly, and for good reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts