Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a topic about few days ago about hair loss and scratching. I got to really checking out my rats fur and found little bugs. I'm not sure what mites look like, I was told they aren't visible. So it's most likely that my little guys have lice? I did put revolution on them. What are possibilities on how they got em? Do I need to throw out their wood house? transmittable to humans? Powder treatment is safe? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
some mites can be seen but i think cleaning everything your rats come in contact with, hot water wash for bedding and stuff for a start

Do you bath your rats and if so what with
it could be a reaction to the soap/shampoo you're using

·
Registered
224 Posts
d00mg1rl said:
it could be a reaction to the soap/shampoo you're using
A reaction to a substance like shampoo isn't going to cause visible bugs.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's just best to throw out wood or porous surfaces, eggs can be burrowed deep into the wood and is just hard as **** to get out.

Bleach everything else and separate the infected rat(sounds horrible, but it's to prevent from spreading). And to be safe, treat the other rats to make sure they don't have it. Wash your hands and arms and change clothes before handling the other rats after handling the infected rat.

One type, I have read, is species-specific. I think it was a type of louse, but don't remember. Just be very clean.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I would also throw out any extra bedding that you have and start fresh, just in case it is mites and they originated from the bedding. I'm not sure if rats get lice through bedding or not.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
DonnaK said:
I would also throw out any extra bedding that you have and start fresh, just in case it is mites and they originated from the bedding. I'm not sure if rats get lice through bedding or not.
Sadly they do. :( My first buggie outbreak was lice caused by cheap bedding my mother bought me as a gift... :roll:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Freezing the bedding will kill off any baddies too. That is, if you have the room for that sort of thing. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts