Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get rid of them? It's a small problem but what should I use and how do I apply it so my babys can be mite free?

I've had mite problems in the past but I can't remember what I used.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
ivermectin kills mites like a dream. yuo give it to them orally then repeat the dose in 10 days. but you have to clean the heck out of the cage after each dose and through out any wooden toys. mites are more a pain to get rid of then anything but its not good for the rats to leave them, other illnesses can be caused by mites other then generally irritation from itching.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I get it? How much dose it cost?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have met with success with UltraCare Mite and Lice bird spray. Yep. The one for parrots. It's only six bucks for the bottle and it will last for a while. I read that there's a certain limit to the amount of pyrethrin a rat can take and it's somewhere like 0.15% or thereabouts. This bird spray is only 0.03% pyrethrin and 0.3% Piperonyl Butoxide and the rest is inert ingredients. My vet even gave me the nod on this one and I trust her judgement. My method of dosing? Read below, it's lengthy ...

1. Spray area you intend to treat your babies with the lice spray.

2. Remove babies from their cage. With partner (preferably) spray each baby according to the directions on the bottle. Rub the spray in gently so it gets near/onto the skin. Wipe off excess spray with cloth. Allow babies to play and groom. Yogi drops will help here.

3. Replace all bedding in cage, wash cage down with 10% bleach solution, rinse, spray down with hydrogen peroxide solution. Allow to dry. Reassemble cage.

4. Add rats.

5. No more itchies!

Comments and criticisms always welcome if I'm suggesting something I shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i like is method better then mine where you have to do 2 cleanings. but if you want to go the ivermectin route you get it from the vet. and it will depend on the vet how much it will cost. it didn't cost me more $10 CDN and i have more left over if i ever need it again.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like tungstenrats method.

??What's a yogi drop??

You mean yogurt?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
something like it. but they look like little drops of it. kinda like herseys kisses but smaller and made from yogurt

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good where can you get'em?

·
Registered
814 Posts
You can get them from pretty much any pet store, my guys go nuts for them.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Oh boy.

Mites are not fun.

TWO ways to treat mites.

1) Ivermectin - its a horse de-worming paste you can order online, or get from a feed or tack store. You need to mix it really well since the whole dose is supposed to go into the horse so it might not be mixed very well. Feed your rats an uncooked grain of rice sized piece once a week for 3 weeks. Very very important!! This will kill each developing generation of the life cycle of the mites. Sadly you will need to throw out any wood/paper products in your cage, freeze your bedding (what do you use?) since they can hitch a ride and infest your rats from there, scrub down your cage, rinse it with bleach and water, then let it stand for 10 mins then scrub again, scrub all the toys (plastic) every week after dosing with Ivermectin. Its backbreaking but its the cheapest method and you don't need a prescription.
Word of warning, ivermectin is easy to overdose your rat so remember - mix well, UNCOOKED grain of rice size once a week for 3 weeks.
And another thing, Debbie D says there is now mites out there resistent to Ivermectin so it doesn't always work anymore.

2) Revolution - need a prescription from your vet. Easiest to use as you put a drop on the back of your rats neck and you are done, prevent them from grooming it off for a few minutes and you are done. Revolution is effective for 30 days which is longer than the life cycle of the mites themselves.

Sprays and OTC products are considered not a good idea. I used the 8 in 1 spray for my original licey boys to give them relief but didn't spray it on them, i spray it on a cloth and wiped it through their fur backwards. Tungsten you might want to try that method instead, since our rats respiratory systems are soo sensitive, sprays can be very detrimental. On another international rat forum I am on we have heard too many stories of rats dying from OTC products. :(

Oh and yogies are great fun but in moderation, they are the chocolate bars of the rat world...here are the ingredients of a standard make of yogie

8 in 1 Yogies Fruit Flavor Hamster, Gerbil, Rat Treats
3.5 oz. - Fruit
SKU: 763764
Sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (palm kernel and palm), whey powder, dextrose, yogurt powder (cultured whey protein concentrate, cultured skim milk and yogurt culture), soya lecithin (an emulsifier), natural and/or artificial flavor, titanium dioxide, color added (red lake #40).
May contain trace amounts of peanuts to ingredient label.

·
Registered
133 Posts
with revolution i assume you have to fully clean the cage as well right? i'm never buying a rat from a god **** pet store again. this is becoming a real hastle and i'm getting irritated. they have an uri AND mites. i don't have all the money in the world to treat both of these things at once.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
With Revolution you don't need to scrub the cage down, since the mites die before they can reinfest. I just dosed my foster boys 3 weeks ago, and didn't scrub or anything, they are doing just great and they were badly infested...poor sweeties.
Sadly URI's are very common as are mites when you take home petstore rats. :(

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yuck, I thought I got rid of my lice problem a couple of weeks ago just to find... they are back D: A couple of them survived or something like that D:

Back to nipping this in the bud. I hope they don't come back again. I think they might of hidden in the carpet or something, or maybe this is a new batch from somewhere else? Who knows.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Poppyseed said:
Yuck, I thought I got rid of my lice problem a couple of weeks ago just to find... they are back D: A couple of them survived or something like that D:

Back to nipping this in the bud. I hope they don't come back again. I think they might of hidden in the carpet or something, or maybe this is a new batch from somewhere else? Who knows.
What did you use to treat the lice? What bedding do you use? Do you freeze it to kill any lice catching a ride? Did you treat all your rats at the same time?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's URI??:?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OOhhwww.....ok.

I'm still learning all the abrivs used on the web.:wink:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah and I'd rather learn sooner than later. lol

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oral invetermicin (one dose once a week for three weeks), carefresh, no and yes. But I did clean out my cage thoroughly each time >_<

1 - 20 of 130 Posts