Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Rikki out, and I just noticed he was scratching a lot behind his ears. I pulled the fur back and he has little scabs behind both ears, but they aren't anywhere else on his body. Would this possibly be mites? I pulled his fur around and didn't see fleas (can you see mites?). It's only behind the ears though which is weird. I know it's irritating him though and itchy since when I touched it he closed his eyes and acted like he wanted me to scratch it (which I didn't of course). I'm taking Ty Saturday to be checked since he was neutered and could take Rikki as well to be looked at. Is there anything I can do for him now to help though? Is there a sure way to tell if it's mites or not? Would it help any if I give him a bath? Anythign I can give him to help soothe itching till I can see the vet??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I just scheduled the appointment for Ty, but he has to see my vets partner vet that doesn't really do the exotic guys. That means Rikki will see him as well, but they assured me he shouldn't have issues determining if Rikki has mites or not. Is there anything specific I should ask though or know as far as treatment, just to make sure I get the right thing and such for Rikki when I go?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Don't do a mite test at the vet is my only advise. They're usually false negatives. Ask for ivermectin or revolution for kittens.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Olive oil from the grocery store will work for this? Nothing specific or special kind that I need?
Also most of the stuff in the cages is fleece, if I wash it on hot will kill them off? The stuff that is just toy things I'm throwing away. I can always buy new things later. What should I use to clean the cages with? Normally I used vinegar as one of my cleaners, but do I need somethign stronger?

Also thanks Nanashi!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I think you should freeze all the linens for 24-48 hours to kill mites (freeze everything).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Wash everything possible in the environment on high heat. Throw out things you cannot. Mites can live off the host for a long time so anything in the cage has to be frozen or washed with high heat. Do not leave the vets without kitten strength revolution and make sure you treat every rat in the house or they will just reinfect each other. Scabs behind the ears are a classic sign of mites so you really want the most effective treatment available. With the kitten strength revolution, you only have to treat once and as long as you are extremely diligent about cleaning their environment, you shouldn't have a problem anymore. As nanashi said, the tests are not very accurate, so pick up the revolution and dose them anyway even if the test comes out false on the mites. There are other things that can cause scabbing (diet deficiencies, fungi, etc) but the specific location of the scabs points to parasites. Good luck, hope it goes well. Also, as far as treatment - it is really quite simple. With the revolution, you put the liquid inside the little capsule into a needless syringe and then apply the right dose (by weight) in between the shoulder blades of the rat. Then you make sure they do not lick each other for about 5 minutes at which point it is safe to put them all back together. The medicine works by absorbing into the bloodstream and skin/hair. When the parasite bites the host, it dies. It lasts for a month - which is long enough to treat the life cycle of pretty much every common parasite. Mites are especially tedious though so the cleaning is the most important part of treatment.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both. I'm actually at home sick today and running a crazy high fever. It's actually the only reason I noticed this morning instead of later. I was sitting on the couch petting and playing with him.

We have some Olive oil and I've started the process of going crazy on cleaning their room and cages. I even the carpet shampoo thing out, so I hope I can get this taken care of. His appointment is Saturday but the wife is bringing home Olive oil for today.

I checked the others and didn't see anything. I plan to treat them anyway of course. I'm just hoping to get this early enough to avoid it spreading to everyone.

I'm having to clean slowly today simply because I feel so sick, but we're getting there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts