Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get medicine to treat mites? Do I have to go to the vet and get something or can I get it from a pet store? I went to my local pet smart and couldn't find any but they could of been out of stock...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The quickest and most effective cure for mites is Revolution. You do have to get it from a vet, but it is worth it. The only other alternative is Ivermectin, which you can get at farm stores/Tractor Supply. While it's cheap, unfortunately it has to be given orally once a week, for a few weeks. There's no immediate relief for their scratching and it can take weeks for their scabs to heal. As opposed to Revolution, which is only one small dose between the shoulder blades, and not only is it an immediate thing, it also prevents ectoparasites for a month. Be warned - store-bought medications such as Frontline, Hot Spot, Advantage, flea/tick shampoos, and sprays, are NOT safe for rats and should never be used.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I will see if I can take in Jojo sometimes this week (since he is the worse of the two) we are also getting our carpet re-done in the next couple weeks so I hope that'll help a bit with unwanted pests.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts