Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to maybe call the vet today, but I have a feeling they will want me to bring in all 7 rats, and I just can't afford an office visit plus meds for that many right now.

I got a male over a month ago who's about 8 months old according to his previous "owner". I did a semi quarantine and kept him downstairs and my girls upstairs. He wasn't scratching when he came in and I use Fleece, but I'm thinking he had mites when I got him. I gave him a bath because he was scratching a lot and the only problems that came up when introducing them was my girls (who are spayed) would gang up and try to groom him (he was kept in a dirty tub when I picked him up and was kind greasy and gross) and he would squeal and squeal. They all went in the tub. The girls just got their feet wet and he got a full bath. I noticed he had scabs around his neck at this time. He stopped scratching as much after that so I assumed it was just itchy because his coat was so dirty. Well this morning I noticed one of my girls had blood around her neck and when I checked, she had scabs all around her neck. I've had a mites outbreak before and I believe that's what this is.

I got 3 new baby boy feeders on Saturday, who are downstairs currently in sort of a semi quarantine but mostly so I can trust train them on the couch.

I'm fairly positive that my 4 older rats all have mites and would like to treat them, but don't know if I should treat the new boys as well (they were feeders and I was told they are 4 months) and how to treat them without going to the vet to get revolution. Is there another way to treat them for mites that doesn't involve me taking all 7 to the vet?

Sorry this post is so long!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
You can use Revolution for dogs or cats, as its fast, effective and safe. If you don't have a friend with a tube of revo you can order it online from Australia (no prescription required). I get mine from Pets Megastore. It's much cheaper than a vets price (if they will sell it to you). It will take up to 10 business days to arrive though

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I can help you figure out doses if you have weights on all your rats. I use 6-10 mg/kg when dosing selamectin. (Active ingredient of Revolution)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Yes, you absolutely need to treat everyone for the mites... if your rats free range your house is infested with rat mites and you will never get rid of them as long as there are untreated rats in the house.

Put a couple or a few drops of revolution on each rat and the problem will go away. Your rats will become toxic to mites and as they encounter mites in their cage and home they will suck them up and poison them. I get revolution from a vet who doesn't see rats, so he won't book an exam, but he will sell revolution to people with rats that know what they are doing with it. It may also be available on line.

I won't go into how much to use or how to apply it as there are already hundreds of threads on the subject... just know that a single tube can treat all of your rats. It should run you about $20.00.

Best luck.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
You could ask your vet. Some won't use Revo on rats and will suggest 3-4 weeks of ivermectin injections instead (painful, expensive, and often ineffective). Call and ask though. Do you have a relationship with your vet?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Vets that treat rats make money by scheduling visits.. so they would prefer to do a diagnosis before prescribing the revolution. Oddly revolution can be used preventatively, so you can dose your rats to prevent them from getting mites even if they don't already have them. It's hard to overdose and is a relatively safe product, so you don't really need a diagnosis, unless you want one.

I go to a vet that doesn't see rats... although the office usually fawns over our rats when we bring them in... they don't officially see them, so they don't charge for a visit. They do however prescribe the revolution and sell it to me.... Naturally our normal rat vet would charge for a visit, that's the way he makes a living.

Best luck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the two vets around me who see rats and the one wants me to bring in all 7 so they can accurately dose them and charge me respectively. It would be $200 for just the visit because they charge $50 for the first rat and $25 for each after.

I'm waiting on a call back from the other because all the techs were busy so there was no one to answer if I had to bring them all in or if they would just sell me revolution.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My older guy got mites,, his skin and was a mess,,,my vet prescribed Revolution for cats,,,because cat and rats groom,,( safe, if ingested) I did both my boys over a 3 week period,,,the first dose on the guy that had mites,,,there was an improvement immediately,,the first dose kills the active mites,,,a week later, the second doses to kill the eggs,, the third, killed off any mites or eggs,,,, My vet said that sometimes mites can be found in the bedding,,,said to freeze any store bought bedding,,, best of luck,,,,you may not need to take all the gang in,,,to the vet, maybe the largest and smallest, the dosage is dependent to the weight of the rat ,,,my 2 guys were very close in weight,,,so really, 2 drops between the shoulder blades ,,,

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
The amount of revolution to cause an overdose is several times what's required to kill mites, I dose mice the same as rats and they weigh just a fraction of what a rats weigh. But yes... you absolutely have to treat everyone or you'll be doing it again and again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called the vet again this morning because no one called me back. If I don't hear from them again , I'll just order it online.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since I have 50 ratties I found a vet that would help me to treat them all without having to bring them all in!
Instead of revolution which would be very expensive for all of the ratties she has given me ivermectin in liquid form and instructed me on how to calculate the dose for each rattie. When one of my rats that came in had mites I treated everyone with a preventative ivermectin treatment. I brought in the one boy and told her how many rats I had and each of their ages and weights and we went from there. The total cost came to $130 for the visit and the ivermectin. The treatment is once every 10 days for three treatments and I had absolutely no problems giving the treatment to everyone! The mites on the one rattie cleared up within 2 weeks (still gave the other doses as instructed) and everyone else was mite-free.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Just remember that ivermectin is much more dangerous than Revolution, and you have to do the crazy cleaning after each weekly dose. The easiest thing would be to dose the rats with Revo (about $55 with tubes leftover) then preventative dose any new rats that come in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts