Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two sweets male rats and i’m devastated to find out they have mites. When I got them I really did expect to be able to care for them but because of the coronavirus my usual source of income is not an option. I can not afford to take them to the vet at the time. I do expect to be able to at some point in the future but for now I need to find a way to get through this. I really don’t want to use horse wormer because i’m to scared they could overdose. I looked all over the internet and the best thing I could find is only in the u.k. and I can’t wait that long to be shipped because it is fairly bad and I don’t want it to get worse. I know some of you may say it is not an option to take them to the vet or I should get rid of them but I just need help getting through this trial because I care very deeply about them and I don’t want them going somewhere else. I will do what is necessary if it gets out of hand but for now I just need help.
Do any of you know of anything that’s works for mites that isn’t dangerous or in affective?
(sorry if it’s poorly written i’m in a rush)

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
Yeah! Try an extra virgin olive oil bath, does wonders!
It suffocates the little buggers, also look into diatomaceous earth FOODGRADE ONLY for a dry bath, that kills mites fleas and anything with an exoskeleton

·
Registered
918 Posts
Don't be devastated, mites are a totally normal part of being a rat owner and a pretty easy issue to resolve.

While [Revolution] requires a vet prescription in the US, I believe it can be ordered from Canadian or Australian websites without one. Revolution is your best bet.

I have used [ivermectin] horse wormer paste with success. It's more work and time than Revolution but it's also a dirt-cheap option.

While I've read that oil baths may suffocate living parasites, they won't get rid of stray mites in your rats' environment (cage or play areas) or get rid of eggs that will eventually hatch and re-infest your rats. Killing all of the mites that are currently alive and in your rats' fur may give their immune system a minute to boost so they can better keep the issue in check on their own, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't be devastated, mites are a totally normal part of being a rat owner and a pretty easy issue to resolve.

While [Revolution] requires a vet prescription in the US, I believe it can be ordered from Canadian or Australian websites without one. Revolution is your best bet.

I have used [ivermectin] horse wormer paste with success. It's more work and time than Revolution but it's also a dirt-cheap option.

While I've read that oil baths may suffocate living parasites, they won't get rid of stray mites in your rats' environment (cage or play areas) or get rid of eggs that will eventually hatch and re-infest your rats. Killing all of the mites that are currently alive and in your rats' fur may give their immune system a minute to boost so they can better keep the issue in check on their own, though.
Ok Thankyou so much

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah! Try an extra virgin olive oil bath, does wonders!
It suffocates the little buggers, also look into diatomaceous earth FOODGRADE ONLY for a dry bath, that kills mites fleas and anything with an exoskeleton
Could diatomaceous earth be inhaled and cause respiratory issues?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been dealing with lice in my rats recently. Look up the live cycle of the mites and try to apply the diatomaceous earth(DE) on the rats according to that life cycle. You can also clean their cage by dusting DE to all the platforms. Then rinse it by spraying a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water with a spray bottle. I rinse it twice this way. I also like to spray the bars with the solution. Do this on the days you apply the DE to the rats. I'm not sure if this would fully work for mites and it's a long process.
I'm not sure where you can get DE in the UK, but I got it online on Chewy and it came in two days.
Also, apply Vaseline to any scabbed area so sooth discomfort and smother mites that may be on that wound.

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts