Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since these guys live such short lives me and my wife were talking about getting two more this summer so that they're offset from our current 4 which will all be about a year old at the time. We were thinking about getting a couple of girls and spaying them so they can all live together. Does anyone know what the rough cost is to have a girl spayed? I know it varies, just looking for a ball park. Is it dangerous? What age should it be done? If we're use to boys would this be a good idea? Or should we just stick to boys?

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's hard to give a ballpark when the range is so large... I know of a vet that charges $77 and one that charges $400. Neutering tends to be less expensive and neutered males are amazing. I don't know the best age for a female to be spayed, sorry.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 4 males already and I don't want to risk having them neutered. I'd be devastated if they had any complications. I figure if we did it to the brand new girls I wouldn't be as attached so if something were to go wrong it wouldn't be as upsetting.

Maybe we'll just sick to boys. But introducing mature males to two new guys might be complicated in itself.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Introducing young males to adult males isn't extremely difficult, depending on their personalities. Have you looked into any rat rescues? The two rat rescues around me spay and neuter all the rats they get, so that's a good way to get pre-spayed girls.

I wouldn't discount getting new girls spayed just yet! A little shopping around and you could find a less expensive vet. I didn't mean to discourage you; only offer information.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would say $100-250 for spayed, prefer to do it young but any age helps. The cost is offset considering the health problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts