Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this afternoon, we made the tough decision to end Mocha's suffering. Her health has been declining for months, but over the last few days, she seems to have lost her will to live. After a consultation with the vet, we have decided that she has suffered enough and that the last few treatment options would cause too much stress on her little body without any real chance of recovery.

Mocha, you were always the bossy one. You always felt the need to impose your will on every one and every thing. In the end, you even forced us to have you cremated even after we discussed never to cremate a rat. If you weren't so **** special, we never would have considered it.

Mocha (along with her best friend, Chai) were fed to a snake. When the snake failed to eat them, they were rescued by a friend of the snake owner. They made their way over to that person's mother, and eventually made their way to us. It was a long journey to get to us, but maybe it was meant to be. We have had them for just over a year.

We only knew Mocha a year and we're mourning like we've never lived a day without her.

Chai misses you, Mocha. You were her best friend. She is lost without you.

When we first got Mocha, she was a nasty little thing. She was a biter. She was extremely distrustful. (Not that I blame her after a human threw her in with a snake.) She made us bleed. She was such an unpleasant rat. We didn't like her at all. We even considered getting rid of her.

Somehow, through some miracle, she turned around completely. She started to trust. She became the sweetest, most wonderful rat in the world. She grew very attached to my boyfriend. Definitely a daddy's girl, though she was just as loving to me. Her favorite thing in the world was sitting on my boyfriend's shoulder and watching the world.

She always maintained her edge though. She always had to be the boss and wasn't afraid to use force with the other rats. Her only weaknesses were Chai and her Daddy. She became as sweet as sugar around them.

I remember when Chai had her hernia surgery and had to be separated, Mocha stopped eating and got so thin we thought she was going to die right then and there.

I'm rambling. I can't really organize my thoughts. I read these rainbow bridge posts every day but rarely comment because I never know what to say when someone dies. I guess this proves it.

We love you Miss Mocha. Julie will take care of you. Just look for the black Pug up there in Heaven with her tongue sticking out. She'll help you.

We miss you already sweetheart. Somehow, I know you are enjoying the attention you're getting right now.

Vertebrate Rat Mammal Muridae Rodent

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention...

When Mocha had her out time, if my boyfriend left the room even for a moment, she would stare at the door and pace around, almost insulted that he left during her special out time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
This made me cry, seriously.

You and your boyfriend are amazing people for bringing her into such a loving home and giving her a second chance.

Rest In Peace, Mocha. Your humans loved you. <3

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Aw... I am so sorry :(

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aw... I am so sorry :(
I talked to the vet about the medications you suggested but she was going to require overnight hospital care with nebulization. She felt we would be treating the symptoms and not the cause. We wouldn't be able to live with ourselves knowing she was stuck in a box, scared, away from us.

Because of your suggestion, I was able to enjoy my last few days with her and for that, I truly thank you. I now know that there are more options out there and I can be more proactive about their veterinary care.

The vet thinks she had some sort of virus that her body just couldn't fight off. Now we need to make sure Chai is safe before she goes in with the others or gets a friend.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The bright side of all of this is that a wonderful animal found wonderful people who appreciated her. There are too many creatures in this world who don't get that lucky. I'm sorry for your loss...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts