Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we've been wrestling with sneezing for quite some time now... the firest visit to the vet we were told that it's environmental, and have done what we can to make sure everything is in order. New bedding, (Carefresh ultra instead of plain) new laundry detergent for the humans in the house, we've even moved, though that was planned anyways. Nothing made a difference, and a few days ago we started noticing crusty redness around their noses. So, today, off to the vet we go. Turns out it's a URI, and the vet recommends a shot of antibiotics today, and then a dropper after three days if necessary.

The shot:

Mokey was the first to go, while Boobers hid in my girlfriend's hood. She was quite happy at the vet, as everyone quickly fell in love with her, and she was spoiled with pets and the like. Soon though, it was time for a shot, which meant she had to be held down... which she didn't like at all. She squeaked up a storm, pooped a lot and peed on the table, but showed no reaction to the needle itself, just being held down. Once she was let go, she ran and hid in a pocket.

Boobers was next. I guess hearing Mokey go through the ordeal was too much for her, and we had a heck of a time getting her out of the hood. When we went to hold her down, she ruffled up and let out the loudest "SQQQQQUAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWKKKKK!" I've ever heard, and lunged at the vet's hands. Seriously, I've never heard such a noise from her before... it was very bird like. So, we had to wrap her in a towel, to avoid her getting a taste for human flesh, and she screamed the whole time. Again though, no reaction to the shot, just being held down.

So they're home now, and feeling mighty sorry for themselves. For some reason they've decided that I'm on their side, and will sulk their way over to me, while staring balefully at my girlfriend. We can't help but give them as many treats as they can take, as they look so pathetic and sad right now.

Prognosis from the vet is very good, since he says they're in excellent health, and we brought them in early. So fingers crossed that they'll be better soon, and hopefully forgive their mother who they've decided to blame for the whole thing!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something I just thought of: what care do I have to take with their cage now, to avoid reinfection? They have wooden chews and a wooden hideaway, as well as fleece on some shelves, and a hammock, as well as a compressed alfalfa "couch". Do I have to scrap it all and start them fresh, or since the bacteria doesn't survive long outside of the host is it enough to wash it and put it away for a few days before reintroducing it?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh, poor sad little girls! Beglie did the same thing when I tried to clip her toenails with the vet- you'd think we were pulling her arm off, the fuss she put out! Though of course, I was just holding her next to me, and the vet did some clipping... we got through two nails before we gave up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
oww poor thing. i should think you would need to like completely clean out and disinfect the cage, just to be safe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts