Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have seen this repeated a few times and I had a question. The dried corn that is sometimes found in rat mixes such as Kaytee hamster, gerbil and rat food is often said to have the possibility of containing mold. Is there any scientific evidence of such? Wouldnt the FDA prevent it from being used? I cant seem to find anything besides that there is an acceptable amount allowed.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
This one is quite a good summary to read through (the first one is the one everyone knows about), though doesnt detail preperation methods and how they affect it http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/Corn/corn001.htm

I do feed rat food with corn in it, however i use either micronised corn (basically cooked and flattened) which reduces the risk of this, or human quality popping corn as there are higher screening standards. In terms of food high in dried whole or kibbled (chopped into bits) corn, i'm not a big fan, in part due to the higher incedents of toxic mould, but mostly actualyl because whilst its not an awful grain and it has its uses there are far better grains out there for rats. Its very low in protien and fat compared to most and that means that any balanced mix with this in high proportions needs to have lots of added stuff, often this is low quality stuff like poultry fat and protien which i am very suspicious about having found a link with lots of poultry protien and mammary tumours in my past girls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts