Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I started with two males. Monkey and Wolf. I lost Wolf three-ish weeks ago. I was told when I got them that they were around 1 year old and that was in October of last year. Last weekend I adopted what seemed like a sweet guy from the SPCA. I was so hopeful that everything would work out with introducing him to Monkey. They told me that the two that were in the cage with him were adopted just hours before we got there. We ended up naming him Bear. He was a little skittish but other wise seemed pretty mellow. I did the whole neutral area intro and everything seemed to go fine. Bear showed some signs of aggression but it didn't seem like it would escalate to anything major. I was totally wrong!!! When I put them in the DCN... My poor little Monkey... Bear bit him and drew blood. I separated them immediately and stopped the bleeding. The bite wound doesn't look bad at all, thankfully. I was so worried that he was seriously injured. Bear will be neutered as soon as I find a vet that will do it and not charge me $300 plus.

Today, I picked up two adorable 3 month old babies. The extra cage I have I am afraid to put them in. The bottom pan bowed out a little in storage so I'm afraid they will escape over night if I put them in it. I went ahead and introduced them to Monkey and he just sat there. Like he is deathly afraid of them. He did groom one of the little guys until the little guy squeaked and got away. Monkey has always been a bit enthusiastic when it comes to grooming. One of the little guys laid down next to Monkey while they were in the bath tub. I went ahead and put the two little guys in the DCN with Monkey and the same happened. Monkey froze. He hasn't puffed up or shown any aggressive behavior. Could he just be fearful of being bit again? Even though the new boys are half his size? Will he get over it? He has always been my explorer. Never sits still. I just want him to be happy... :( I don't know what to do...

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would try them in a smaller space for a while, have you got a carrier or small hamster type cage. They do a lot better introed in small spaces most of the time and it helps them get over problems like monkey being afraid

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eeep! Oh my goodness! I am so ... Yeah!

Went to check on Monkey and the babies to see how they were getting along. I went ahead and left them all in the dcn over night. Apparently, things went well!

Monkey on the right and the babies on the left!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
My boy Remy was pretty badly attacked several times by another one of my boys :( It has left him with some trauma it seems. He is much more jumpy now for sure. But he does fine with other rats. I had him with another male at the time and they get along fine, sicne then I have also introduced two other males and all my boy babies. He actually even snuggles up with them.

I would say just give it time. Make the experience with them really good and positive. A really good yummy food split between them will help develop positive association.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I gave them some scrambled eggs last night. Monkey obviously relaxed a bit. I just hope I can get Bear to play nice. I'm debating on if I should just get him neutered or keep trying with out the neuter. I don't want Bear hurting the babies. I will try the carrier method with Monkey and Bear. Just not sure what the next step shoild be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts