Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's safe to say that I am good with my hands; I come from a family of builders/seamstresses/do-it-yourself'ers. I love building and making things; when I say "I could make that..." I mean "I'm going to make that." And since having rats I find more and more things to build or sew!

So I got to thinking a few days ago that I wanted to make a cube for my girls but I wanted it large enough for everyone to be able to sprawl out comfortably. Normal cubes are 8x8, mine is 11x11.
xxl1.jpg xxl2.jpg xxl3.jpg xxl4.jpg xxl5.jpg I call it the XXL cube, or the monster cube. This thing is HUGE! I had so much fun with it! It has an entrance and two "windows" on the sides to try and discourage them from making an escape hatch. It took probably 7-9 hours to make, I didn't do it in one session but over the course of three days (it's rather difficult to sew with you've got four hyper girls that keep popping in to see what you're doing). But after I completed that I then got the idea to make my own rope and wood bridge. I'd seen several in pet stores but none were as long as I wanted and they were all too expensive.

So I got it in my head to just build one from scratch. And that's just what I did.

I cut a dozen limbs off a fallen tree in the back yard, a poppler I believe, cut them to size, stripped the bark off, baked them for an hour to sterilize and dry them out, drilled holes in them and finally threaded the rope through (three times to be exact). This took three days to do as well. In fact, I've only just finished it. I don't even have it in the cage yet!

bridge.jpg

I'd love to hear some suggestions on other projects!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
You should try a pirates climbing net. It was a hit in my mischief! Oh or a birds nest.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it! I'll try both :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
I keep thinking I'm going to do a rope cargo net. Just haven't gotten around to that one yet. I've made quite a few of the rope/wood ladders. Mine like to snip the ropes in different places. :p Sewing...ugh I'm going to have to have my hubby teach me. I've been putting that off. He's made some nice envelope ones however...maybe I can just stay dumb about it and have him make some more for me.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided if they snip it I'm going to rethread it with cable wire! I love sewing, it's a good stress reliever for me. I can't be upset if I'm sewing, I've tried!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow, that's really innovative, especially the rope bridge! I can't wait until Christmas, i'm hoping to get a sewing machine and take a wack at some hammock-making and such!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They LOVE the bridge!! I'm just glad it turned out to be the perfect length, I didn't measure anything >.>

r1.jpg r2.jpg r3.jpg r4.jpg r5.jpg

·
Registered
953 Posts
Very cool. Mine all love those style bridges too. I keep thinking about taking fleece scrape and braiding them into a fleece bridge.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried that but got frustrated. That failed experiment is now at the bottom of my fleece bin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts