Rat Forum banner

more MY health??

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ladylady 
#1 ·
Sometimes when i have my rats on my shoulders, they leave red marks that get horribly ichy :'( :( and i love keeping them there because i can walk around with them. I find they do this on my arms and legs as well!! you think their nails are too long or maybe do i have an irritation??

#2 ·
wen my rats have their next party on my body i shall take pic its amazing how many scratchs my rats can leave on me! my arms chest and back are red raw i think its just a case of how they scracth not that you have a irritation, if you think their nails are to long/sharp i found the best thing for it it to buy a concret ladder they are made for parrots but are safe for rats as i have one for my boys! or ive hurd summit about putting a rock under their water bottols but u wuld have 2 look that 1 up as im not sure of that, cement ladders are the best tho!

#3 ·
wen my rats have their next party on my body i shall take pic its amazing how many scratchs my rats can leave on me! my arms chest and back are red raw i think its just a case of how they scracth not that you have a irritation, if you think their nails are to long/sharp i found the best thing for it it to buy a concret ladder they are made for parrots but are safe for rats as i have one for my boys! or ive hurd summit about putting a rock under their water bottols but u wuld have 2 look that 1 up as im not sure of that, cement ladders are the best tho!

#5 ·
no problem, i'm going to leave a rock out of my mommys cage because i'm paranoyed that it might drop onto her little ones :!: 8O

#9 ·
My little boy is on me right now and i have Pj pants on my shoulders and he's helping :D. He's ppuurrring in my ear :D i feel so loved :D

#10 ·
I've put the rock and some other scratchy stuff and his nails are still a tad sharp. I still need to try the cement ladder but if that doesn't work am i doomed??

#11 ·
I embed one of these in their bedding, at a point where they come to greet us, and it keeps their nails lovely and short. I noticed a difference within two days of putting one in. I too was getting an itchy neck and arms that weren't healing up. I'm almost clear, now :)

#13 ·
Rats get urine under their nails and when they scratch us, a lot of people react badly with swelling and redness. If you get it bad, you can wash the scratches right away with soap and water and that will help.

You can put a rough tile or rock under their waterbottle, or trim their nails with clippers like I do mine when they get too long. Boys are easy, squirmy girls are hard. :roll:

#14 ·
I've cleaned the scratches before and that does seem to help. I have some mini nail clipers i might try.... i'd get worried about cliping a toe off :| but with my mini ones maybe i can give it a shot :).

#16 ·
good idea, i clip my rabbits nails and dogs so i'm use to looking for the wick... well see how things go. Off to find my clippers

#17 ·
I have ONE girl that will stay still for clipping. So fare she's all i've tried with. It seems to help a lot, However I have the cement blocks and "sticks" and it doesn't seem to help. Some of them I can file down a little bit with a nail file. Any other ideas?? I'm getting better with the clippers though :D.

#19 ·
I'm sure I can find someone who can help me :). Thnc poppy, I filed her nails down a little more after I cliped her nails.

#20 ·
I could do with some UK alternatives for the concreet tunnel. i keep looking but i think im searching for the wrong words. got any good key words for me to search?
and i get an itchy neck two, I just imgined it was bugs in the scraches-good work out for my immune system :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.