Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been battling the concept ofgetting more rats, please allow me to explain c:

So in the past two years of owning ratsI have had 11 wonderful crazy females. Back in July I had a suddeninflux of disease and despite all medical efforts, I lost 4/7 of myrats...it was awful.
In those four deaths I lost my heartand soul rat named Echo.

I promised myself I wouldn't getanymore rats for a while, and my three remaining girls still thrivetoday. I have an ancient female named Bean, and I've owned her sinceI started owning rats over two years ago, and she's four years old.The heartbreaking thing about Bean is she has a large tumor on herstomach, and now a smaller one on her chest...so she will probably bepts soon. My second oldest is Lillianne, and she's from a rat breederthat I am really good friends with. My youngest is 8 months and hername is Khyra, and she's absolutely insane.

Anyways my question was, when is a goodtime to get more rats? Should I even get more rats? I financially cansupport them if they all get ill again (I spent about 300$ on medsfor all 7 of my rats...again 4 of which did not survive) and I alsocan pts or do surgery if necessary. I would only get more rats if itwas from my breeder friend, and lucky for me she's having a litterready next month, and one in January, and then another one later in2015.

It's just so difficult to decide! Iwould wait until after Bean has been pts, because I doubt she wouldtolerate another addition (or two...or three!) and that just wouldn'tbe fair to her. I just miss all the little faces and the chaoseverytime I open their cage </3

So rattie people, how would you decide? After Bean is gone it would just be so hard having only TWO rats, as I have never just had two...

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think it's a good idea to wait til Bean passes to add babies. Try not to let the temptation of getting new babies influence when you decide to euthanize Bean, or you may have regrets. I think you should focus on keeping Bean comfortable and assist her passing when she's ready. And then once she's passed you can think about babies. It's not the end of the world to have 2 rats. You may enjoy a break from having to clean so much :) And it sounds like your friend has many litters planned!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.