Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my rats, Brooklyn, passed away in an accident last weekend. This leaves me with Poppy, an older rat with a tumor. She's not what I'd call healthy, but I don't panic about coming home and finding her dead (a lot). I also have Roo, a younger, somewhat skittish rat who was adopted at the same time as Brookie and may or may not have been related. I'd like to get two more rats so that Roo has friends that are willing to play, but I'm worried about them bullying, injuring, stressing out, or maybe even killing Poppy. Should I get more, and if so, how should I go about introductions to minimize stress?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Definitely do intros on neutral territory! And make them last a while if they're ignoring each other or don't seem to mind each other. What worked for me, was doing intros on neutral territory (the bed) a couple times, and then putting them in a neutral cage for a few days (so no one's territory was being invaded). Spaying also greatly helps behavioral issues with females (not to mention all the amazing health benefits, like greatly reducing or eliminating the possibility of mammy tumors), so if you can't find a vet that spays rats, then maybe look into adopting some already spayed from a rescue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'd do that. Do you think that new rats would stress out an older rat too much even if intros went well? She's not exactly the healthiest rat out there and I wouldn't want them to make her worse.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It's a possibility, but unfortunately there's no way to tell until you try. Another good reason to adopt from a good rescue - they'll have an idea of the personalities and can suggest ones who might work out better for you and your old girl :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.