Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Herman has been really good and hasn't bitten me for a while, but today he snapped. So I grabbed him, turned him upside down and started tickling his tummy trying to power groom him. He was squeaking the whole time like he was going to be killed. I wasn't rough with him, just trying to show him who's boss. I hope I did the right thing. Then I put him and Eddie away, no more free range for today. Hopefully tomorrow he will be in a better mood!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't have put him away. If he was biting you to get you to leave him alone for whatever reason, then by putting him away in his cage you are inadvertently teaching him that if he bites you, then you go away - leaving him in peace and quiet safe in his home. He won't necessarily view being back in his comfortable and safe home as a punishment.

With a firm voice (not shouting - more like a teacher) give him a 'No Biting' command along with a gentle boop on the nose. Picking him up and holding him up in front of your face for a little while you reprimand him can help too, as he is forced to listen to you. Then if he continues his negative behaviour I would consider the flip and scratch method.

Getting a consistent 'telling off voice' really helps. My boys know when they have done something naughty by the tone of my voice, and they usually stop misbehaving when I say 'No' and will run up to give me apology licks. If they come to me after a telling off they get lots of reassuring cuddles so that they know I'm still their friend :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Agreed, rats learn to bite to get their way... this is a very bad lesson for any rat to learn. I know its instinctive to get away from anything that's chomping on you, but that's when you actually need to be most assertive... whatever it takes, this behavior is not to be tolerated, ever - never. You stop it or it gets worse. (naturally you never hurt your rat in the process). You also don't punish a rat... you just communicate in clear and uncertain terms that biting is a very bad idea as soon as it happens. And you never back down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts