Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is not Sevilla's day!

I let the girlies out for a bit while I got ready for class. I'd talk to them, they'd come say hi, run around their blanket, and take food from me (mm, Smart Start with milk! A rattie's dream!).

Well, I had a few extra minutes, so I decided to do some shoulder training. They're not very used to being picked up, so it's still an experience for them. Since I seem to break out into hives if they touch me with their little talons, mostly we just interact with them on the blanket. But I want to be able to pick them up when I have to, so we practice occasionally.

Well, Sevilla was up on my shoulder, I gave her the yogie, started walking away from my bed, and before I knew it, she's suicide jumped off my shoulder! I think she was aiming for the bed, but missed and jumped all the way to the floor! Oh dear. She seemed completely unfazed, though. I put my hands down, called to her, and she came to check me out and then wandered under my bed before I could grab her. The little bugger! So I had to chase her a little, and finally got her back on the bed. The best part is that she still had her yogie tucked up in her mouth, and calmly trundled over in a corner to eat it!

But the worst is yet to come.

It was time for me to go to class, so I tried to scoop Sevilla up to put her back in the cage. She didn't want to go, though, and tried to run into a paper towel tube to escape. (Like I said, they're not used to being picked up at all). But she didn't seem to realize she has grown a little! She ran partly in and couldn't get all the way in!

It was so funny for about a second, with her little butt sticking out of a tube, and then she started screaming! That's a horrible high pitched little squeal they have when they're scared! She was stuck! I couldn't pull her out, so I thought about cutting her out but was too afraid to cut her (plus there was no room to put the scissors in, I was afraid to like, snap her spine). So I finally starting ripping the tube open from the top, and just hoped she wouldn't bite me out of fear when I got near her face.

She was finally freed, and ran like the devil back to her cage. I tried to give her a yogie for that, but she was so freaked she wouldn't take it. I laid it next to her, but I think Belgie stole it.

It was traumatizing. For both of us. She's been asleep since I've been home, but I think she'll be okay. I hope.
Just thought I'd share, because I tried to tell the story in Spanish, and my professior said "just use traps, it's faster." Um, but that's not quite what I had intended for the final outcome...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh poor Sevilla, but so funny about your Spanish professor... something must have gotten lost in translation. :) One of my rats was busy exploring a pillow covered in a sham. There is a portion of the sham cover that have a "pocket" Well little Kira slid right in, but the seam must not have been entirely strait because it ever so slowly narrowed until she was stuck like a sausage. I heard panting and little peeps and finally found where it was, and ended up having to cut the cloth in front of her and then tear the opening a little to get her out. She wasn't happy. :) Mine also start to go into the tubes but stop before they get stuck. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts